No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Scottish , spoked , millefiori with polished pontil . Age , maker ? Ta !  (Read 3137 times)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Scottish , spoked , millefiori with polished pontil . Age , maker ? Ta !
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2015, 04:16:09 PM »
That blue-tint twist cane weight on the Ysart Glass site is one of mine. I class it as Vasart Ltd, rather than Strathearn because of the lesser visual quality and a rough ground base.

The Blue fluorescence is the reaction under shortwave uv not standard longwave uv ("blacklight" type). The longwave reaction is Green (or Yellow-green). Those reaction colours are standard for the vast majority of Vasart Ltd and Strathearn weights.

The Blue reaction under shortwave is the only way I know to confirm the separation of weights between a) Ysart Brothers period (& pre-war) and b) Vasart Ltd + Strathearn.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2015, 08:04:23 PM »
Thanks Kev & Alan,

There is some green reaction in the clear dome with longwave UV but none of the canes are showing any reaction. Thanks for the explanation and for narrowing down the  date for this weight,  it really does look like it was made sometime between 1956 to 64 from what you say.

What I really like about this weight is the variety of canes , when I first saw it I thought 1960's because of the orange and yellow and multitude of other colours. They had a great imagination in coming up with a seemingly  endless number of interesting cane designs.  :)

Cheers, Mike

Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2015, 11:14:31 PM »
There is some green reaction in the clear dome with longwave UV but none of the canes are showing any reaction.
In general, coloured elements (including white) that are encased in the clear dome will not show any uv reaction.

Occasionally an older "Ysart" cane with a clear, soda glass centre will be found in a weight for which the dome shows no obvious uv reaction. In those cases the centre of the cane can stand out with a bright green uv reaction within the non-reacting dome!
KevinH

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2015, 09:39:47 PM »
Thanks Kevin,

What would the reaction be for the clear dome, under shortwave UV for this weight  ? Is it blue ? Are you saying that older pre-war weights don't have this reaction under longwave  (green) or shortwave (blue)  ? Later ones , including Strathearn , do ?

I understand about the clear soda elements to the canes , as you mentioned above .

I'm just a bit confused about the dome bit  ::)

Sorry about this ......I didn't know about shortwave UV until now !! ...and what the significance of this  test is for pre-war weights  ;)

Ta, Mike
Mike

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2015, 03:59:36 PM »
What would the reaction be for the clear dome, under shortwave UV for this weight  ? Is it blue ?
Which weight are you asking about? I guess it is the one that you started this thread with, but, if so, without checking it, I couldn't possibly say what its shortwave uv reaction would be! I suspect it would be the same as my example - Blue - as stated in the Ysart Glass web page. But it might not be!!

Are you saying that older pre-war weights don't have this reaction under longwave  (green) or shortwave (blue)  ? Later ones , including Strathearn , do ?
My distinction was not simply between pre-war / post-war weights.

The periods under consideration are:
1) Pre-war Ysart 1930s
2) Ysart Brothers Glass (trading as Vasart) 1946-1956
3) Vasart Ltd 1956 - 1964
4) Strathearn 1964 - 1980

The glass batch for 1) and 2) was soda-based (i.e. not a lead glass), with normal UV reactions of:
longwave = Green, shortwave = Grey (to my eyes)

The glass batch for 3) and 4) was lead-based, with normal UV reactions of:
longwave = Green, shortwave = Blue
KevinH

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2015, 04:52:38 PM »
You can also get canes in Vasart weights with very pale green/yellow (i.e., uranium) that glow bright green under UV

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2015, 11:30:25 PM »
Thanks Kevin & Christine ,

I fully understand now and I was referring to the weight which started this thread (with regard to the shortwave UV reaction).

This really does elevate glass sleuthing to a forensic science  :D

I will try to invest in a shortwave UV device ...I've got the Ysart bug now ...caught from a paperweight  !!

Cheers, Mike
Mike

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2015, 11:10:36 PM »
Welcome to the club -  beware the Ysart bug - it will empty your wallet!! ;D

I'm glad you "fully understand"  - I have to read it about 5 times and then still get confused with the long / shortwave UV reaction for different ages of the glass  ::) ......I try to stay away from weights and stick with the Ysart glass ware.   :D
Roberta

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2015, 08:07:12 AM »

Hi.  If you really want to get confused, read some of the scientific papers of Professor Waldemar Weyl of Penn State University, who showed that the UV fluorescence is affected by (amongst many other things) how the glass is heated in the glory hole, and how it is subsequently annealed.  So there is the possibility of variations in results between pieces, between workers, and between different days of production.  The fluorescence test is good for telling you whether something is lead glass, and has its uses for other broad differences...but it is a far from precise or analytic tool when employed using cheap uv lights outside a research laboratory.

Alan

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2015, 08:59:56 AM »
 :o

Thanks Roberta & Alan.........

I 'fully understand' that it's a grey area now !  ;)  :-X....especially if made from soda glass !  :)

I guess a rule of thumb would be if it comes up blue under shortwave UV then it's a lead based glass ...

Cheers, Mike
Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand