No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: chance spiderweb ??  (Read 2186 times)

Offline spotsandstripes2

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • chance glass
    • uk
Re: chance spiderweb ??
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2015, 12:36:23 AM »
David, what do you think of this please,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Glass-Large-Salad-Dessert-Bowl-6-Matching-Dessert-Bowls-Blue-Pattern-/161902150905?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=e7KJ6YJ3x2jZObBKdgQtrDgcgxw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
It appears to have the Greco border and similar style to chances but I can't find reference on the nets or in Additions. Could it be Chance?
 sue

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2015, 07:21:03 AM »
Much more likely to be German in my opinion

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline spotsandstripes2

• Members
    • chance glass
    • uk
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2015, 08:33:23 AM »
Hi Christine, interesting.. I read that some of the spiral copys were German, was it a particular company that produced the Chance like glass or more widespread.  Was there no copyright on any of the Chance transfers or were they open to free reproduction... were their any limits?
 so many questions lol  😊 the more I find out the more I want to know haha... I could really get into this  ::)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2015, 11:56:12 AM »
Definitely continental. As per Chance Additions p.102-113, there are a few more possibilities, such as Holland (Flamingo), W.Germany (Spiegelunion) and E. Germany (VEB), all of which produced Chance-alike designs, plus a new one that I've discovered called White Goose (Holland) that produced a Lace pattern complete with Spirograph border, which is identical to Chance. Whether these were copies or licensed through Chance is anyone's guess. The printing on this bowl (not blue) is actually a light-grey and probably using the Durographic process that was first developed in Denmark.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline spotsandstripes2

• Members
    • chance glass
    • uk
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2015, 02:12:15 PM »
Mmm , ill have to look the durographic  process up. So quite a few European countries did copies and variations. I wonder if maybe variations were to used to circumnavigate possible copyright infringement. Interesting. Thanks David

Offline spotsandstripes2

• Members
    • chance glass
    • uk
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2015, 02:20:59 PM »
David, at closer inspection of Additions there's reference to a floral Greco pattern on p109 which albeit it being square and on blue glass, is an almost identical design 😊

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2015, 03:23:42 PM »
You really need my first book, Chance Expressions, which covers these topics along with identification of all the patterns known in 2007 and further background detail. Spiegelunion was a known copier of Swirl, but with VEB being East German the contravention of designs was almost impossible to stop and both companies did cause problems to Chance.

The blue tinted tray in my book does bear a lot of similarities so could well have come from the same factory.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand