No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help ID Pair of Antique Miniature Hand Cut Decanters  (Read 607 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Help ID Pair of Antique Miniature Hand Cut Decanters
« on: December 08, 2015, 09:15:45 PM »
Help please to Id this pair of miniature hand cut decanters. I am thinking most likely Victorian, they only measure just over 6" to the top of the stopper.
Are they decanters or due to there small size have a different name and what was the main use liqueur.

Although a pair they are not identical and do have slight differences to each other .
24 star cut base, flower and swag around center.

Height just over 6" to top of stopper.
Weight 432 and 470gm.

Thanks Roy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Help ID Pair of Antique Miniature Hand Cut Decanters
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 01:26:03 PM »
might they have been used as individual water carafes type thing in the days where the table was set with each place having it's own decanter/carafe?

If you look up something like Chatsworth House Christmas it should show a pic of a the dining table laid with individual places and with each having their own decanter.

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 03:41:17 PM »
In the U.S. these would easily be classified as Cologne bottles due to their size.

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 04:41:11 PM »
They look like Stuart Crystal Beaconsfield pattern.

The stopper is a typical Stuart mushroom.

I'd have to check on replacements first though plus i'm struggling to see the pattern from the pics.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/STUART-CRYSTAL-BEACONSFIELD-PATTERN-DECANTER-SIGNED-TO-BASE-/111842977774?hash=item1a0a5c67ee:g:5X8AAOxy6MBSTU7o

regards Chris.
Chris Parry

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 08:00:40 PM »
Bitters, anyone?

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 08:11:44 PM »
Two more, one Stuart crystal set i know of has 8 different size wine glasses, could be rare given the size Beaconsfield is really collectible, they have to be in really good condition though.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/A-Pair-Of-Stuart-Crystal-Beaconsfield-Round-Decanters-/401030375797?hash=item5d5f45e975:g:ojsAAOSwwbdWJo0K
Chris Parry

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 10:25:13 PM »
Thanks Chris for your reply your absolutely correct by the look. I now remember selling a set of 6 Beaconsfield liqueur glasses a few years ago.

I have had a good look again of the bases, not signed or marked. I had checked them under a UL light and they do glow a soft green.
My wife did a little research for me and thinks that Stuart first made this pattern in 1907 and did not start to sign pieces until about 1924 so maybe these date from between these years.

I think they are hand cut if you look at the row of panels above the flowers the bottom of the panels on one decanter is straight while the other is round.

They are both in excellent condition , one has a slight stain in the base which hopefully will cleanout then there be ready to test at Christmas. Just measured again and they are 6.3" and 6.5" which is still a good 1" smaller than the smaller on you added to the last message.

I bought these to add to my collection of cut glass and not to sell on and think I got a bargin at the Kempton fair for £20.00 .
Sorry for the poor quality of the pictures which I had to take in doors with the flash hopefully these 2 are a little better

Thanks again Roy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand