No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pulegoso vase with applied & pincered decoration  (Read 2402 times)

Offline B & M

• Members
Pulegoso vase with applied & pincered decoration
« on: July 02, 2006, 04:42:32 PM »
Hello,

I've just recently acquired this beautiful vase, the body is in Pulegoso  glass and there are applied trails of colourless glass to the sides.

http://i5.tinypic.com/16h6ptu.jpg

It measures approximately 8 inches high and has a slightly indented base with a rough pontil mark. It clearly has age, as shown by the natural wear to the foot & the years of accumulated grime I had to clean from the trails!

I'm fairly certain it is an Italian piece and from the style I would guess around 1930's but this is not my area of expertise and i would welcome any further information, particularly anything relating to age or maker.

Thanks,

Steven

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 05:24:08 PM »
Martinuzzi did a lot of work in pulegoso at Venini in the 1930's, but can't say I've come across a piece with the clear applied side pieces. It's a nice size and it might be worth googling Seguso as well and seeing what that throws up.
I've seen a lot of repro pieces which I'm told are coming out of Mexico, but this certainly has the look of an early piece.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 09:02:34 AM »
I believe the Chinese are also producing glass in this technique now, although I can't say I've seen any with those "wings" on the sides.  Could you post a picture or describe the underside?  Does it have a pontil mark?  Also, it would be helpful to know if it has any evidence of use or wear, such as scratches on the underside or deposits/water marks on interior.

Offline B & M

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 05:43:53 PM »
Thanks Paul, I have had a search for Seguso Pulegoso items, some vaguely similar forms but never with trails in clear glass.  I shall keep looking & see what I find.

Pron Gallery have this handled vase in Pulegoso glass, attributed to G. Ferro for AVEM but again the handles match the body of the piece rather than being clear.  http://www.pron.it/prodpart.asp?idprodotto=1110#
I had hoped that someone would recognise the clear trails, they seem so distinctive, but nothing like it so far. Anyway, whoever made it, it has to be a bargain for £4!

Horochar, thank you, as you will see from my original post the vase clearly has age. The pontil mark is rough. I haven't had chance to photograph the base yet but will try to post a picture soon.

Steven

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 02:35:56 AM »
Hello Steven,
I have seen some older pieces in the Pulegoso style with clear applications, so that doesnt mean its new or a reproduction. The hard thing is, to know for sure which it is. A photo of the base would be good.
I'll look in the books!
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 09:48:55 AM »
To go along with this thread, here is a piece I picked up recently.

The pink color is very light. the trails of clear start at the rim and it has a ground and polished pontil. As to maker I have no idea, but it is a lovely piece of glass and IMHO very well done. Terry

Offline B & M

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 12:16:03 AM »
Hello,

Just reviving this old thread. I was unpacking another box after my recent move & came across across this vase again so have finally got round to adding a picture of the base:

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4161

It doesn't reveal a great deal but shows the slight indentation & snapped of pontil mark.

Thanks for the suggestions

Steven

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand