No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unknown Blue Compote. ID = Fenton  (Read 2262 times)

Offline Elk Oil

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United States
Unknown Blue Compote. ID = Fenton
« on: December 14, 2015, 05:49:02 PM »
I've seen this online from three different sources, and none of them can identify it.  I also can't find it in any of the databases I've searched.  It looks very similar to a piece by Fenton, but this is not it.  There are no marks.  There are also no seems, nor a pontil scar (or it's been perfectly polished).

Thank you!!

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Re: Unknown Blue Compote
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 07:47:10 PM »
Originally a Tiffin 310 mold before somebody got their hands on it. Might check Fenton cabbage rose as they made a few pieces of that using old Tiffin molds. Whatever it is its recent. I would not discount its a Fenton World piece...in other words the molds sent to China.   

Offline jsmeasell

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 01:11:23 AM »
This certainly appears to be Fenton's 9229 Empress footed comport (not compote), in the glass color called Colonial Blue, made in the 1960s (Fenton did not begin to mark its glass until 1970). The mould joint marks are following the pattern vertically and are difficult to see, and those nearest the top edge are obscured by the process of warming-in followed by the double-crimp.

FYI: no Fenton moulds have been sent to China.

James Measell, Historian
Fenton Art Glass Co.

Offline Elk Oil

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United States
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 02:45:17 AM »
Thanks, James!

What's the difference between a compote and a comport? A lot of things I've read said the terms are interchangeable.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 06:59:20 AM »
They are but I think James' use is what Fenton used in its catalogues

Offline jsmeasell

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 12:21:27 PM »
"Comport" is the traditional term in the American glass tableware industry, beginning when pressed glass was all the rage in the 1880s to about 1920. "Compote" is a mixture of crushed fruit that is often served in a comport! Do some digging in old dictionaries! 
James Measell, Historian
Fenton Art Glass Co.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Unknown Blue Compote. ID = Fenton
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 02:13:06 PM »
In the Oxford Dictionary of English
a compote (sense 2) is a bowl-shaped dessert dish with a stem
and a comport (second definition) is another term for compote (sense 2)

In Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary
a compote (sense 2) is a bowl-shaped dessert dish with a stem
and under comport (second definition) it says
comport compote 2

Both of which imply that compote is the preferred term, as it comes after comport alphabetically and it is the preferred definitions that have the full explanations. I have consulted physical copies of both these revered dictionaries. For those who don't know, Merriam Webster's is the classic US dictionary.

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 02:46:50 PM »
Strange but when I search "compote" on line the first thing that pops up is "Compote (French for "mixture") is a dessert originating from medieval Europe, made of whole or pieces of fruit in sugar syrup" & thats under Merriam- Webster. Probably different references have multiple definitions that appear in different orders & Jim did say "old" dictionaries.

My Mom always made me eat "compote" but then again we were in the Appalachia region of Ohio.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 05:28:23 PM »
Well that's the difference between online and paper dictionaries  ;) You pays your money and you takes your choice

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand