No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Frits Akerboom. Lucky find ?  (Read 9406 times)

Offline Gowdod

• Members
Re: Frits Akerboom. Lucky find ?
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2015, 05:01:18 PM »
Dear All,

here is a little grouping of Akerboom pieces I have, similar to the link above and also a picture of his signature for your records.  :)

Kind Regards

Andrew

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 06:19:17 PM »
 :)
Thank-you!
I think the blue piece resembles an Auerbach portrait - fabulous.  8) 8) 8)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Gowdod

• Members
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2015, 08:39:29 PM »
Dear Sue,

you are very welcome. The blue piece is a fantastic colour and to be fair I've not seen a similar colourway/finish in either the blue or the gold in all my glass travels. The smaller vase has the best shape and total feel. All are dated 1978 and also signed either March or April and his name. I have seen a similar piece in gold, similar to my larger piece, posted here before on glassmessages when a list of 1970's studio glass makers was listed. I can't find it but it included pieces by Skillitzi, Akerboom, Thornycroft. Elliott, Herman et al.

Kind regards

Andrew

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2015, 12:34:56 PM »
Possibly the thread on '70s studio glass? I started one to celebrate the 50th birthday of the Studio Glass movement, we ended up having threads illustrating different decades.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Akerboom Glass

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2017, 04:02:03 PM »
Hello all,

I know this thread is quite old but I wanted to reply to it. My grandfather is Frits Akerboom and I was affected to see that his work was being spoken of online. He's not created any new pieces in a long time, but when I next visit him I will tell him that his work is still being enjoyed.

Thanks.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2017, 04:21:10 PM »
Not just enjoyed, his foresight and subsequent contribution to the Studio Glass Movement was considerable. His work is much admired.

I do my admiring mostly in museums, and I know where his work is in the the Museums that have any. I'm not lucky enough to own any.
It's wonderful to hear he's still around.  :)
Please, thank him for me.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Gowdod

• Members
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2017, 05:59:01 PM »
Dear Akerboom and Sue,

wow....I agree with what both of you have said and please let him know that these are up there with all the late 70's players....not much kit around to play with in those days, but lots of creativity. Please ask him what methods he used to make his glass, from the glass pot through to annealing and sale please. it would be fascinating to capture this knowledge and history.  If he's up for it I'm sure that any commentary he is prepared to share by YouTube, Whatsapp,  whatever would be so appreciated. He was there and saw it real time. It would be great to capture that knowledge and for his satisfaction whatever you record you can edit till it's as crisp as his glass. :-) ... thank you for responding, it's just brilliant what the internet has given us all.

With kind regards

Andrew

Offline Gowdod

• Members
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2017, 06:01:09 PM »
Dear Akerboom,

I forgot to ask....would you also be able to share pictures of any pieces in your family as well? Once recorded never lost.

Yours

Andrew

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2017, 06:37:19 PM »
Anything scientific would also be greatly appreciated. (especially by me!)
I used to work in research labs, I have very happy memories of visiting the scientific Glassblower in Dundee to get some special weird and delicate contraptions made and mended. The skill involved in that was incredible.
Your Grandfather must have had to teach himself and invent methods for getting things done.  8) ;D 8)

But please, don't put him under any pressure. He should be enjoying his retirement.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Akerboom Glass

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • UK
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2017, 06:13:32 PM »
Hi there guys,

Sorry for the late reply. I just wanted to let you know that I'm going to visit grandad in the next week or so and I am going to pass on your messages.

I'd like to ask if any of you have specific questions about his work, technique, practice, etc, and I'll try and record his replies.

Also, chopin-liszt, could you please let me know what museum's grandad's work is displayed in? I'd like to know as well.

I'll do my best to photograph some of the work he has in the house and post it here when I've gone through it.

Thanks again.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand