No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A Car boot non-disaster  (Read 3233 times)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
A Car boot non-disaster
« on: July 02, 2006, 10:15:54 PM »
For a change, I had a car boot that wasn't a disaster. Well, it's got to happen some time in my life :lol:

I think this is a Carlo Moretti vase, 13 inches high. I paid £1.50.  :roll:
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10011/Picture_1334.jpg

This is a Bohemian rose bowl I think, not Tango as it has no applied glass. 1940's perhaps? I paid £2.
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10011/Picture_1337.jpg

Okay, I cheated with this one, I bought this from a second hand shop for £2. Yellow Tango glass with a sharp pontil and lot's of ware to the base. Do they usually have sharp pontils? I'm not sure of age but it looks old.
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10011/Picture_1331.jpg

This was only 50p but there is a chip to one of the glass bowls. I think it's a Dansk serving tray. Not sure of age. The faint impressed stamp says: "Danmark" But it's going downwards rather than across. Above "Danmark" is a letter "Q" which I presume is part of the initials "IHQ". All the other marks, if any, can't be seen.
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10011/Picture_1338.jpg
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10011/Picture_1340.jpg

Any other day I would drop a paperweight and brake something. But I didn't buy any paperweights.  :lol:
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
A Car boot non-disaster
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 07:17:04 AM »
The snack tray is very likely Dansk. JHQ (rather than IHQ, as most people on eBay would have it) is Jens H. Quistgard.

I love the tray, though. It has wings! That organic kind of shape ties in quite well with Quistgard's designs in teak.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
A Car boot non-disaster
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 07:49:09 AM »
Yes Tiger, the first one is Carlo Moretti and in another color I need LOL. I have these in orange and yellow and my goal is to get one of each color although I am not sure exactly how many colors they came in. Love it Terry

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
A Car boot non-disaster
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 07:51:18 AM »
A similar Dansk tray sold for £70 on ebay though it was perfect. It was also slighty bigger with 8 dishes. I can't understand why the stamp is different from the other trays though.

I did wonder why it was called IHQ, though I figured that the last letter probably stood for Quistgard. But "JHQ", that explains it, thanks.  :D

I don't know how old the company is but I think I remember that the letter "I" was often changed over to "J" (or vice versa) in the Victorian times and earlier. Or am I dreaming again.  :roll:

It's the sort of thing that would be easily missed at a car boot as it probably looks recent to most people.
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
A Car boot non-disaster
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 08:06:13 AM »
I have yet to clean the Moretti vase yet, I could find something nasty.

It was interesting to see another dealer beside me buying a generic Murano bowl for £1 and not even paying any attention to the Moretti.  :lol:

It's a shame I wasn't quick enough to buy the bowl as well. Can't have everything though.  :lol:

I was quite surprised by the weight of the vase, very light. There's also no pontil but it is polished on the rim.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
A Car boot non-disaster
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 08:25:04 AM »
Quote from: "Tigerchips"
I don't know how old the company is but I think I remember that the letter "I" was often changed over to "J" (or vice versa) in the Victorian times and earlier. Or am I dreaming again.  :roll:

Dansk is the company name, Quistgaard (two 'a's, my mistake) was a designer there. Or possibly artistic director, as he does seem to have his stamp on an awful lot of Dansk designs. Anyway, as far as I can tell, his tenure ran from possibly the late 50s until the 70s. But that's just guesswork from the styles of the pieces I've seen.

After a quick Google, there are some indications that he owned Dansk.

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
A Car boot non-disaster
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006, 10:17:33 AM »
Quote from: "Pinkspoons"
Dansk is the company name, Quistgaard (two 'a's, my mistake) was a designer there. Or possibly artistic director, as he does seem to have his stamp on an awful lot of Dansk designs. Anyway, as far as I can tell, his tenure ran from possibly the late 50s until the 70s. But that's just guesswork from the styles of the pieces I've seen.

After a quick Google, there are some indications that he owned Dansk.

I found this brief history of the company. It says Quistgaard was a co-founder.
http://www.ourshowhome.com/docs/shop/mid/dansk.html

robbo
robbo

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
A Car boot non-disaster
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2006, 11:12:23 AM »
Ah, my approximate dates weren't too far wrong then.

I love the nested tables on that site - but those prices are a bit ouch.

Would it be possible to see a piccie of the maker's mark on the tray, TC?  :)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
A Car boot non-disaster
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2006, 10:52:49 PM »
My mum bought a glass swan with a mark on the bottom. She also bought a magnifier to look at the mark, but the magnifier turned out to be worth more than the swan.  :roll:

Very faint mark
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10011/Picture_1347.jpg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand