No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Scottish Type Green & White Bowl with Swirls - Peter McDougall ?  (Read 1454 times)

Offline Greg.

• Members
Scottish Type Green & White Bowl with Swirls - Peter McDougall ?
« on: December 20, 2015, 01:46:16 PM »
Hi All,

Would welcome further thoughts on this flared green and white bowl with 4 pulled swirls. Polished concave pontil mark to the base, clear glass casing, measures 18.6cms in diameter and 8.2cms tall.

I wondered if anyone could advise if Perthshire/Peter McDougall may be a possibly contender or not, a similar shape example can be seen in the Ysart Glass website below, although the way the colour has been worked is different.

http://www.ysartglass.com/Otherglass/Perthshire.htm

I also see similar style pieces albeit in a different size were discussed in the below link back in 2008, (with very similar swirls), although no definitive conclusions...
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,19008.0.html

All thoughts much appreciated.

Greg

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Scottish Type Green & White Bowl with Swirls - Peter McDougall ?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 04:37:29 PM »
is Stevens and Williams out of the question?

Is it heavy and does it have any type of clear casing, with a thick clear showing near the base?

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 06:44:20 PM »
Hi M,

Thanks for taking a look  :) - Wouldn't the pulled swirls in this and the other examples in my second link above exclude S&W as a possible contender ?

The bowl has a clear casing, which is quite hard to see in the photos. Its easiest to see in the hand when looking through the ground pontil mark, I would say the clear casing at its thickest is around 3 or 4 mm.

The bowl weights 608 grams.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 09:00:22 PM »
maybe, but I think the bright pink might definitely rule it out - that's if your bowl and the pink one and the blue one with pinky splotches are all from the same maker.
I like the way the colour is laid on in your bowl.  It reminds me of a Gray-stan candle holder I had,quite delicately done.  However iirc that had more white in it and the pontil mark isn't right on your bowl I don't think.  They also did swirls rather than whorls I think.

So, do you think it is more contemporary? 
Did Strathearn ever do anything at all like this btw?
m

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 02:51:14 PM »
Hi M, - The base does have a ring of surface wear, although I am still open minded as to the possible age.

Just a couple of other observations. The base inside of the bowl is very slightly convex. Correspondingly the base is also not completely flat, it tappers in slightly towards the ground pontil mark.

Thanks.

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2015, 03:23:58 PM »
Hi,
I have a similar one -  so far it's one of the unknowns - definitely not Peter McDougall (had it from him personally), I personally don't think it's Perthshire or Nazeing  - they seem to have some Ysart influence with the swirl /pull up design - don't think they are Caithness either! My guess is they date maybe 70's/80s - only a guess though. Maybe one day we will find out who made them  ;)
Roberta

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2015, 04:58:18 PM »
Could these be "Dial Art" items without their labels?

At Plowden and Thompson, in 2002, Herbert Dreier made a new range of Ysart-influenced art glass. I do not know the details of the range, or whether it included bowls, or for how long it was made.

See:
http://www.ysartglass.com/Otherglass/PTdialart.htm
http://www.glassencyclopedia.com/Tudorglass.html
KevinH

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 09:47:13 AM »
Thank you Roberta and Kevin for taking a look, your thoughts are much appreciated.

Dial Art are an interesting thought, I'll see if I can find anything further out to rule them in or out.

Thanks both.  :)

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 10:22:42 PM »
Hello All,

The origin of these pieces with the swirls is unknown at this point in time. The pondering always seems to go along the same lines, whether through conversation, or on discussion boards, but no-one has found anything to give a full and indisputable attribution.

The idea of Dial Art is indeed interesting (and new), but they started appearing before Dial Art made their pieces - which as far as I know were only vases of one shape and form.

Nigel

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 02:38:02 PM »
Thank you Nigel.

Another addition to the unknown shelf! Hopefully one day further information will surface which will allow a name to be attributed to these pieces.

Thanks for taking a look, much appreciated.

Greg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand