No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: peachblow pitcher with crack  (Read 3293 times)

Offline c2urchn

• Members
peachblow pitcher with crack
« on: December 13, 2004, 06:58:48 PM »
Hello, I am very new to this forum AND the piece of glass we have but am told it is Wheeling Peachblow. My question is how the large crack in the bottom and up over the side affects its value. It rather looks like the entire bottom may come off at some time... but it may also be a crack in the glaze only. With the crack, it had been appraised at over 600.00 and I just can't see why. It is really pretty, though.
Any help appreciated.
Carol

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
peachblow pitcher with crack
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 09:55:11 PM »
Some Wheeling Peachblow is worth many thousands of $'s, it depends on the piece. You can also get pieces for a few hundred.

Damaged pieces are the aesthetes way of getting a museum quality collection on the cheap, the purists will not touch it. I collect Monart where the best pieces are worth $800 and up perfect. With severe damage like you mention it would knock 50% to 90% of the top value. Bear in mind Monart is probably scarcer than WP so a higher discount may apply to damage. It boils down to a question of taste and lust. Two of my best pieces of glass have large cracks.

Generally it helps if the damage is not visible on a shelf. With less rarity value glassware, damage can make a piece 100% overpriced.

Cracks can grow and a slight knock or direct sunlight could complete the job so you have to display it where it cannot get further damage if the top decides to walk - then just get out the UV glass glue and you are back to square one.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand