No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Purple "agate" bowl  (Read 1684 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Purple "agate" bowl
« on: December 29, 2015, 07:58:34 PM »
I picked this up thinking it was something good but despite searching, I'm none the wiser. Can anyone help please? It's a small footed bowl with an incurved rim, a milky white interior and a purple exterior with powdered enamels giving an agate effect. The pontil mark is polished and slightly irregular. It measures 4.5 in. across and 1.5 in. deep.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Purple "agate" bowl
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 08:37:15 PM »
has a slightly similar look to my Webb Corbett Agate Flambe piece but never known of (in literature) or seen one with a white interior.
Also, despite the rim, it looks as though it should have had a lid perhaps.  Maybe a silver plated lid?
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 11:17:59 AM »
I have seen a few pieces id'd as Biot (Jean Michel Operto) with colourful exteriors and a white interior.  Might be worth investigating a little further.
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 05:50:22 PM »
Thanks M I'll have a look.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 07:02:10 PM »
maybe the size indicates part of a dressing table set?  if it had a lid perhaps?
it's quite small and shallow.
Biot is normally signed but French is a possibility I think.  How large is the pontil mark?  is it larger than normal?  My Agate Flambe bowl has quite a large pontil mark.  French pontil marks were quite large on older pieces sometimes as well but I don't know about more 'recent ' (In context v 1920s and earlier) work.
The base effect is  very similar from what I can see, to my Agate piece but a close up would be good.  Do I spot two large 'stones' in the layer?
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 08:24:02 PM »
I don't think it ever had a lid - there is nothing to suggest it did. Yes there are large(ish) stones but they are lumps of white enamel I think. The pontil mark is perhaps a little big at 1.5 in. and only leaving about 0.25 in round the edge of the base

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 09:22:13 PM »
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,58232.msg329915.html#msg329915
this shows a close up of the decor on mine which has a very dark purple interior.
the foot or base of mine doesn't look like your base but that's because the colours are around the outside mostly I think , just a factor of the way the colours were picked up.
I like the decor on yours and it really is similar to mine I think. The bubbles and that blueish white powder effect (lilac on mine but in pics it looks blueish white)  So I'm thinking 1930s and wondering if it might be something like Hayden ?? were they hayden mullet or something? need to look that up - one of the other 1930s makers that feature in CH 's British Glass.

Actually just a thought, Webb Corbett did a pinky red version iirc.  They are documented as having a blue base glass but mine is purple and I'm sure it's Webb Corbett, so I just wonder if they did do a white base version maybe and it's not been documented so far?

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 09:49:50 PM »
I have now just bought one exactly the same shape etc as my purple one and it has a white interior.
See my comments on this thread:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,63514.msg361098.html#msg361098

So whilst the decor on the sides of your bowl doesn't quite look at colourful and swirly as mine, the second photo of yours is so similar I can only believe it is the same decor, and now I have one with a white interior I think Webb Corbett is a distinct possibly for your bowl.

Is the outer casing on your bowl a pinky colour or is it yellowy?

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 01:09:48 AM »
Just adding some picture comparisons:

The first vase is a link to the Dudley museums Webb Corbett Agate Flambe vase.
http://blackcountryhistory.org/collections/getrecord/DMUSE_BH2949/

When that link pic is enlarged it can be seen that my purple bowl is a direct match for the decor (see more pictures I've added of the other side of the bowl)

I've also added a wide photo of the base of my bowl.  In certain lights the colours (as in the previous pictures I've added here
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=58232.0;attach=164394;image

) look more pale bluey (lilac in real life) and are a match for the base shot of your bowl.

The new bowl that will hopefully arrive in the next few days is a direct match for the shape of my purple bowl here.  There is no question it is the same maker and I believe also an 'Agate Flambe' bowl.  But it has a white interior and the colours appear much more bright pastel because of the interior of the bowl and the pale yellow casing.

I've also added the best pics I can of the pale yellow casing on my purple bowl.

I am sure your bowl is by Webb Corbett and is the same decor but in the pinky purple colourway -
as can be seen in this one in the Dudley Museums collection but it's a terrible photograph ... it just doesn't  have the white interior as yours does.

http://blackcountryhistory.org/collections/getrecord/DMUSE_Pac154/

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 01:12:02 AM »
more pics to those above showing the yellow casing.

I'll add pics of the white interior bowl once I have it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand