Glass Identification - Post here for all ID requests > Glass Paperweights

Frank Eisner paperweights

(1/3) > >>

Frank:
A number of weights have appeared on eBay with an attribution to Frank Eisner and often described as Monart. These are certainly not Monart paperweights - Monart was made only by the Ysart's. The attribution to Frank Eisner is either hearsay or based on some weights shown in the book "Scottish Paperweights" by Bob Hall (Page 53). It should be noted that these give a 30's attribution based on the UV reaction being similar to that of Monart paperweights of the period.

However, I am informed by former Moncrieff director Colin Mayor, that no-one but the Ysart's had access to the glass used for Monart weights. Frigger weights made by others, including Frank Eisner, would have been made using Monax or MS1 glass.

There is no proof that Frank Eisner worked at Moncrieff - his son Eric Eisner was factory manager in 1962. Eric Eisner had joined Moncrieffs as a chemist having previously worked in that capacity for GTC glassworks in Newcastle. He subsequently filled different positions within the Moncrieff including M.D. up until the company's acquisition by Reed Building Products.

Colin also told me that Frank who was retired did go into the works on Saturday's and made weights using Monax glass. circa 1962. He set up the flowers and another glassmaker would complete the weight for him.

However, most of these failed in the annealing. While Frank Eisner was attributed as the maker of some paperweights in Bob Hall's Scottish Paperweights (Under Vasart incidentally!!) but even that is based on hearsay. In any event, any weights he made were 'friggers' made in his spare time and not production items. Obviously the trade love to attribute any similar weight to those shown in Bob Hall's book as having an Ysart connection. Frigger weights have novelty value only unless they can be given an accurate attribution and were produced in serious quantities. The recent batches of so called Eisner weights could have been made by anyone.

Six weights with an attribution to Frank Eisner are known and maybe he did work at Moncrieff. The likelihood of him having made weights alongside the Ysart's is very low and would be completely out of character for the Ysart men to allow that.

In summary:

[*]Frank Eisner may have worked at Moncrieff - still to be proven.
[*]Any weights made at Moncrieff by Eisner are friggers and not Monart.
[*]It is unlikely he would have had access to the glass used by the Ysart's for their weights.
[*]All evidence to date is hearsay.
[*]More research is needed.
[/list:o]

Frank:
Moved this here from my forum, with another one sold on eBay as Eisner (It is not) it awakens the theme.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7326030078

KevinH:
Hi,

For information, the one in the link that Frank provided is, I think, a Murano item but could possibly be Czech / German. It certainly looks nothing like the "Eisner" "Upright Flower" weights shown in Bob Hall's book (or even the ones lying around my floor, for that matter).

But one of my examples has an interesting cane or two embedded in the usual thin and "pointed" ground. I'll be mentioning this at the Ysart etc Conference in August  :!:

For now I will say that Frank is absolutley correct in saying that such weights are not "Monart".

Frank:
Looking for something else, came across this again - just for the record Frank Eisner retired to Perth and was never employed at Moncrieff's but did dabble on Saturday's.

paperweights:
At one time I owned a Spitfire Paperweight that was signed on the bottom "Frank Eisner, Leughton, 1944".  You can see a picture at the link below:

http://paperweights.com/pw1934.jpg

I know it doesn't prove he made it, as it may have been made for him.

Allan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version