No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Leerdam glass designed by Andries Copier, Graniver flowerpot, 1928-29  (Read 7927 times)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
An example of a Graniver flowerpot in blue, height 98mm, diameter 104mm. The undertray is actually a facsimile being made in plastic. Designed between 1928 and 1929.

All Graniver is susceptible to chips, and this pot does have a small chunk missing from one foot, but being so scarce I thought it was worth a punt!

Source: Complete Copier, pp.344-345
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Leerdam glass designed by Andries Copier, Graniver flowerpot, 1928-29
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 12:09:32 AM »
love these
m

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 08:28:28 AM »
Considering the age when they were made, and the rather 'flakey' nature of the items - Leerdam never really got to terms with the 'Graniver' process and they do chip rather easily - they have aged remarkably well, in a design sense as well. Would be nice to own all five in this set, and the square ones, but they are very expensive  :D
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 09:24:40 AM »
are the yellow version, what I saw in the Rijksmuseum display do you know?

I was looking for something specific and was in a rush, so just bobbed in and out of the third floor to see if what I wanted was there. Happened to notice a large display of yellow glass.

m

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 09:42:58 AM »
Ooh, now you have me as I don't recall seeing this glass. Such a large museum and it was very crowded when I went - did you even get close to Rembrandt's The Night Watch?! However, I have searched the Rijksmuseum website and came across this. If this is all the glass they have listed, then no Graniver is shown.

No Graniver listed there, which it appears to be for horticultural use. But the known colours to me are yellow, orange, red, green, blue. Also malachite and black in some of the shapes, but these are not Graniver.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 10:14:40 AM »
yes!  we were lucky :)
but we also went a few years ago when most of it was shut so we were practically wandering around on our own - twas lovely.

Now it's all open it's vast, but I was really disappointed with the amount of glass on display.  Apparently  one of the other museums fairly nearby has a big collection/display of more contemporary glass,  but OH was ill and I didn't feel it was fair to rush off there as well.

m

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 11:25:04 AM »
Leerdam itself is the place to go, of course, but it is a bit of a trek. Do also visit the Antiekcentrum Amsterdam (previously called 'De Looier') as this does have lots of lurvely glass, even if it's at the upper-end pricewise. You'll almost certainly see examples of Graniver and related products there.

If you ever make it to Haarlem, PC's historical home city, then the Teyler museum is a great place to visit - full of all sorts of oddities as collected by the eponymous gentleman. Not much glass though!
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 12:35:20 PM »
Graniver is made by mixing raw sand into the batch. The result is a porous paste which can be pressed but not blown. You find Graniver pieces on every antique market in Holland, at prices that bring tears to your eyes.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 01:54:00 PM »
hmm, machine made pate de verre 'ish'?
m

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 06:24:00 PM »
Thanks for that Ivo. Yes, prices can start at €100 for the small, common yellow pieces, rising up to ~€500 for the rarest colour, which I think is red?

Anyway, here's a close-up shot of the surface - used a tripod and it still got blurred, and the base shot showing the L(eerdam) and C(opier) mark. The chipped foot is top-right but, hey, great for displaying!
David
► Chance Additions ◄

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand