No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Val St Lambert - Just for show...  (Read 23809 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Val St Lambert - Just for show...
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2016, 11:30:18 AM »
 :)
Don't drop it on your foot. :o
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 02:48:18 PM »
Very classy, elegant and timeless pieces.
Anne E.B

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2016, 09:15:03 PM »
Thank you all ... and i'll try not to do my back in either.

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2017, 11:40:47 AM »
One of my latest finds, just for show. I've never managed to even see one of these outside a museum and I'm so happy that I managed to get my hands on it. It is one of the most illustrated pieces by VSL, I've got at least 7 books that it's in and it's 31 cm high, just over a foot. Vase Jonghen 'Iris' registered L77, designed by/under Léon Ledru in 1897 and absorbed in the 1908 catalogue. The engraving's really deep and it should show up nicely with a dark background, I think.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2017, 12:18:17 PM »
Beautiful Anne  ;D

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2017, 12:36:51 PM »
Thank you   :-*

Offline Daniel

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antique Vases
    • South America
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2017, 03:16:03 PM »
What a great exhibit! It is certainly easy to get enthused with VSL! These are wonderful.

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2017, 10:30:15 AM »
I'm just so excited to be able to show you this little engraved vase. It took me a while to date and find out everything about it, but I've managed to do so.

Just to put it in context, Charles Graffart was head of design at VSL from 1942-1958. In the 50ies he designed a range of engraved pieces, that were signed and dated at the bottom of the vase. As you can see, this one's signed on the side but not dated, so I got curious. I knew engraving was his very first passion, but the only pieces you come across are from the 50ies, and I never considered anything else.

Digging a bit into his history at VSL, I found out that around 1923/1924, just after he finished his training and studies, he engraved several, one-off pieces that were used at the World Exhibition in Paris 1925. As they were such a success, he was commissioned in 1926-1929 to produce 300, all unique and different pieces for VSL, all signed and numbered from 1-300, and several of these numbered and unnumbered pieces are visible in museums and illustrated in books.

I came across an article, a report just after the Expo, in which these vases were described, and luckily enough, I managed to get my hands on a copy of the original Exhibition catalogue from 1925. To my surprise, it contains a sketch , made by Graffart himself, with the vase right in the middle. I've held it next to the image and the foliage and subject are exactly the same.

The reason why it is signed on the side and not on the bottom, is because it was a presentation piece and not done in several examples, as they, the commercial pieces, were signed on the bottom. The reason why it isn't numbered is due to the fact that it's not part of the 300 pieces, but one or two years older than that, part of the series for the Exhibition in 1925. 60 pieces from the Exhibition got absorbed in the Catalogue Cristaux de Fantaisie or Fantasy Crystal catalogue,  but again, this vase is not part it.

I can therefor, date this vase to 1924/5, and it is part of a series of unique, non-commercial and therefor uncatalogued,  pieces. 

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2017, 10:41:34 AM »
The sketch in the Exhibition catalogue of 1925.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2017, 11:15:21 AM »
Well done!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum