No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this a Swarovski Cone/Rio paperweight? (not sure about label)  (Read 2093 times)

Offline johnfandmaryp

• Members
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone out there can confirm (or otherwise!) that this is a Swarovski Cone/Rio paperweight. It's about 3"/75mm tall and everything about it looks OK but I'm not sure about the triangular label, which is very worn. The only thing I can really make out is 'Silver Crystal' but it's also possible that it says 'HAND MADE IN AUSTRIA' at the bottom (although this may be wishful thinking on my part!). I'm intending to list it on eBay but don't want to mislead anybody.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, John  8)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
Re: Is this a Swarovski Cone/Rio paperweight? (not sure about label)
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 06:35:51 PM »
Swarovski does issue a "Silver Crystal Collection" - including several animals and "Waldcharaktere" ... "forest characters" ... whatever that means ???. Your item doesn't qualify as animal, I guess ... could it be a "Waldcharakter" ???.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline johnfandmaryp

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 04:46:12 PM »
Strangest looking 'forest character' I've ever seen, Wolf! ;D

I found a similar weight on eBay which was listed as 'Silver Crystal', but they don't mention a label or show a picture of the base, so not very helpful (see item 331735478457)

Am still hopeful there may be a Swarovski expert out there who might recognise the label!!

Thanks for the smile  8)

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 07:54:31 PM »
I am not a Swarovski expert, but every Swarovski paperweight I have seen has had a tiny etched logo somewhere on the base or near the base.  I have seen other products with a similar multicolor brilliant glass with labels that said "Made in Austria" or "Made in Germany" that were not Swarovski. 

The company's website at http://www.swarovski.com/Web_US/en/faq states the following:

"Since 1989, all genuine Swarovski products feature the Swarovski Swan logo. Pieces produced prior to this date have a different logo and in some cases, it may only be faintly visible or almost impossible to detect.

You will find the following logos on almost all Swarovski crystal and jewelry products:
  • Square Silver Crystal SC logo (1976 - 1988)
  • sCs/SCS logo (Swarovski Crystal Society 1987 - present)
  • Swan logo (1989 - present)"

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
    http://paperweights.com

Offline johnfandmaryp

• Members
    « Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 01:52:09 AM »
    Thanks for that information Paperweights.

This weight may or may not have an etched Swarovski logo on the bottom but, as you can see in the pictures, it's covered with black felt! I'll have another good look at it with a magnifying glass tomorrow (in daylight) to see if I can something by looking down at the base through the side. While I agree that most Swarovski pieces are etch marked, I can say from experience that not all of them are ~ I've sold a couple of boxed weights in the past which didn't appear to have any mark (although, given that Swarovski say "it may only be faintly visible or almost impossible to detect", it's possible that I missed it!).

Many thanks again for your help.

Offline w8happiness

• Members
    • τὰ ἐφ' ἡμῖν
      • paperweights
      • Tyrol,Austria,Europe
    « Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 08:10:42 AM »
    Hi from Austria,

please have a look at this:

http://www.crystalexchange.com/swarovski-c-PWT-515.html

this type might fit, but no info about the Label except "Silver Crystal" as a product line,

Kind regards, e.m.
    EJM

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
    Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
    link to glass encyclopedia
    Visit the Online Glass Museum
    link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand