No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ugly Baby/Man? Figural Bottle-Legras Bottle Ivo?  (Read 1132 times)

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Ugly Baby/Man? Figural Bottle-Legras Bottle Ivo?
« on: July 01, 2011, 03:26:24 PM »
I don't collect bottles at all, but this one was so dirty & ugly I picked it up. 13" height, soot spots, raw indented pontil, but a bit ground down, marked Depose. Took three days of soaking, but turned out reasonably OK. Looked through previous posts & saw Ivo talked about a French bottle company named Legras & wondered if this might be one of theirs. Thanks, Ken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Re: Ugly Baby/Man? Figural Bottle-Legras Bottle Ivo?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 06:47:39 AM »
 :hiclp:   :hiclp:

Neat.....that sure is different!!  It is Unique !!
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
Re: Ugly Baby/Man? Figural Bottle-Legras Bottle Ivo?
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 11:53:09 AM »
As I went through some older posts I came across this one and noticed it was still 'open', as such.

This bottle is called 'Ange portant une glace' ... glace can be translated in ice cream, but also in mirror, and obviously, the second translation's more appropriate, so it translates as 'Angel carrying a mirror', which is obviously missing here.

Catalogued 1886-1887 for Legras.

It says in the description ''the angel or child carries a round, framed mirror on its shoulder and head, and inscribed in the mirror it mentions 'this part is a mirror'  ??? The mirror can be replaced with a watch, at request of the client.''

There's an image in the book Legras by François Théodore but if you publish or reproduce any images, you'll go to jail... :o :-X

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand