No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Black Glass Nude Stemmed Salt Dish or Tazza. ID = Czech  (Read 2082 times)

Offline Alsretro

• Members
    • Scotland
    • My Ebay items
Black Glass Nude Stemmed Salt Dish or Tazza. ID = Czech
« on: February 04, 2016, 07:48:24 PM »
This is moulded and has a polished base which looks to me, as if it has wear consistent with some age. It is 3ins tall and 3ins across the top, weighing 135g. I wondered if it was English but can't spot any maker's marks. Any help with ID would be appreciated thanks.
Alastair

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: Black Glass Nude Stemmed Salt Dish or Tazza
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 03:45:02 AM »
She's Czech and still in production. The design may originally be from the thirties -- I've seen her attributed to Hoffmann but haven't been able to confirm this.

She's shown in the 2015 Desna catalogue as 'Beautiful Atlanta': http://preciosa-ornela.com/images/pdf/catalogue_DESNA_collection_2015_EN.pdf

Offline Alsretro

• Members
    • Scotland
    • My Ebay items
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 06:24:42 PM »
Thanks for this information Steven. I've read that Desna started marking pieces from 2000 so I'm guessing my "wear consistent with some age" is still valid and this may be as old as 1999 :D
Alastair

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 12:05:17 AM »
It's very hard to date these pieces as they've been in production for decades. The problem is that things get very confusing when dealing with this type of glass. I just used the Desna link to show she's a Czech piece however your example might not be Desna as I believe Desna usually mark their wares.

Many of Desna's patterns are older designs originally from Hoffmann, Schlevogt, Halama, Riedel, etc. During the communist era many of these were marketed under the Jablonec Glass label. More recently, a number of firms (e.g. Schubert Crystal) have sprung up producing such patterns either from old moulds or as copies. There are currently unmarked versions of your dish for sale as new on ebay at present but I don't know who's making them: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=262271448997

So, yours could have been made any time from the 1930s-present. For unmarked wares the only way to tell the age is to look at the mould quality, colours and finishing but this is not an exact science...

Further reading: http://pressglas-korrespondenz.de/aktuelles/pdf/geisel-schubert-hoffmann-schlevogt-engl.pdf

Offline Alsretro

• Members
    • Scotland
    • My Ebay items
Re: Black Glass Nude Stemmed Salt Dish or Tazza. ID = Czech
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 07:43:28 PM »
Thanks again Steven. I'd found that link after your initial post. Thankfully my piece cost ten pounds in a charity shop but I can see from some of the images the article and Desna catalogue show, how people could think they were buying an original art deco piece, .
Alastair

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Black Glass Nude Stemmed Salt Dish or Tazza. ID = Czech
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 12:37:31 PM »
The Desna reproductions from the old moulds are still desirable and collectable pieces and do sell.
Folk will just take the quality of the moulding into consideration. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand