No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: How to identify the 'real' Murano millefiori / murrines vases  (Read 1612 times)

Offline Jay

• Members
    • http://www.hogelandshoeve.be
How to identify the 'real' Murano millefiori / murrines vases
« on: February 15, 2016, 09:13:23 AM »
I am seeing a lot of 'millefiori / murrine"vases from Zecchin and also attributed to Toso etc, Somewhere in this pile I assume there are also just-cooled versions from Romania and China (etc, etc.)
I have the idea that there are recognisable factors 'which could be estimated numerically, and that these could be combined into some sort of formula which might catch the differences between basic types from old end experienced hand / recent and simplified tourist-fare / foreign and 'wrong' made in a flash.

Of course everyone will have their own aesthetic judgement to add', (which is a key factor that cannot be easily enumerated) but I'd be happy if I could assign a score for the technical element which I can 'teach'to other collectors..

Did anyone to write try an identification formula / guide which has been tested?
If not, does anyone want to try and work with me on this one?? I'd like be able to advise other collectors on how to (unintentionally) buy fewer horrible imitations of these vases.

Number of different murrines used + number of layers on the most complex murrine.

Score out of 10
Is there an attempt to arrange and distribute the canes (where 5 is 'random', 10 is 'properly arranged/distributed' and under 5 represents several identical canes in a random cluster which 'should have been separated'.

Score out of 5 "Follows an outline or mould which appears to be correct for the identified manufacturer/region/period"
Score out of 5 "Colours are typical of a contemporary pallette from the area and placed in a suitably (coloured) mass (or cased in a correct colour)."
Score out of 5 "Opaque and clear glass is arranged to give a 3-D effect or similar design feature."

Score % for reduced values (Damage / unfashionable colours / lack of attribution / etc.)

Of course I'm only a beginner, so I probably missed some key identifiers?!
Don't want to reinvent the wheel but haven't found the right info elsewhere?!
Dutch and Flemish 20th Century Factory Glass

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand