No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help me identify this acid etching on a Caithness Fireball paperweight  (Read 1921 times)

Offline Fox1970

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glass & Porcelain
    • United States
I am having alot of trouble identifying this etching on a Caithness Glass "Fireball" paperweight. Made in Scotland. This piece had a very old label, with the typed info of what the item is. Once removed, I found this etching. Other pieces of this type have very different etchings, so I'm confused. Is this their logo? Does it pre-date the ones that have their named etched in, with a Limited Edition Number? Please help!!!???

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j359/timfox116/Caithness%20Paperweight%20Markings/20160227_070736_zpsxalwqydr.jpg

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j359/timfox116/Caithness%20Paperweight%20Markings/20160227_070725_zpsbfynfzdf.jpg

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j359/timfox116/Caithness%20Paperweight%20Markings/20160226_172938_zpseqno4qdr.jpg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Help me identify this acid etching on a Caithness Fireball paperweight
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 04:50:57 PM »
Hello and welcome to the board. I'm moving your post from Events (which is just to post info about events) to Glass Paperweights, which is the proper forum for this item. 

We'd also appreciate it if you would add your images as attachments to your post rather than as linked images - two reasons for this...

1. the huge images give problems to people who use mobile devices as they cannot choose not to download them, thus it eats into their data transfer allowances, and

2. having images permanently on the board helps us to be a really useful reference source for others who come to us looking for help. Remote images tend to disappear after time, whereas on the board they are here in perpetuity.

We have a help topic that explains how to reduce your images to a size that will fit our limits, or one of the Moderators can copy them into your post as attachments with your consent if you prefer. http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,34093.0.html
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 05:19:44 PM »
That looks like a bad version of the Caithness seconds mark CIIG

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 05:22:08 PM »
I suspect from what I was able to make out from the images that the mark you are looking at might well read CIIG, the mark used to signify a second.
C and G for Caithness glass and the II in roman numerals for 2.
Welcome to the board,  :)

and thanks Anne, for sorting the post. :-*

Edited to add;
Posting at the same time with the same thought, Your Editorialshipness ;)

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 05:28:45 PM »

I agree it is the Caithness seconds mark.  Someone may have stuck the label over the mark to try and hide the fact, and pass it off as perfect - much the way that you can find a price label or auction lot number obscuring a bruise on a paperweight.  That does not happen very often, but it does happen.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 05:47:59 PM »
Hi Fox,
Would you, pretty please, post the images directly to the board? There is a load of info in that link I gave you to help.
Photobucket crashes my pc, I won't go there or click on any link to it, and images hosted elsewhere have a nasty habit of vanishing.
It would be really good for our records to have an image of this mark you have, posted here for future reference.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand