No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 2 vintage Murano Bowls, Please help fine the maker(s)!  (Read 3008 times)

Offline midnightjo

• Members
2 vintage Murano Bowls, Please help fine the maker(s)!
« on: July 06, 2006, 11:00:51 PM »
Hello, I have thes 2 vintage Murano glass bowls and I was wondering if anyone could help find the maker(s)

#1 This bowl measures approx. 5 1/2" long and 2 1/2" tall:

#2 This bowl measures approx. 6 1/2" long and 1 3/4" tall:

Thanks for any and all help!

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 01:14:33 PM »
I like them both.  The colors look "other worldly" (is it really lime green"?), which makes me wonder if they're true or distorted by digital photography.  This is only a guess, but I'd put my money on Alfredo Barbini for both.  The shape and technique are characteristic of their production.  I'd also venture that they're vintage, from the 1950s.  I don't know that these forms in this particular technique were continued much into the 1960s, whereas I think the "tutti fruitti" bowls were made much later (into the present), like those cheap "school of Dino Martens" pieces that are commonly seen.  Good luck!

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 04:25:52 PM »
Can't fault that Barbini looks favourite, though in more recent times these designs have been taken up by some of the more generic producers just to add to confusion.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 08:02:43 PM »
Hello midnightjo,
I'd say Barbini also.
Paul, wondering which makers are u think that are copying them now.
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 09:00:11 PM »
Not sure who they were by but were brand new with just generic export labels. Next one I come across I'll get a picture even if I have to buy it.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline Laura Friedman

• Members
    • http://planetglass.net
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 12:52:11 AM »
Hi,

Concur on Alfredo Barbini.

The so called "tutti-fruity" pieces (hate that made up name!) are definitely being reproduced. They are coming in from Asia, and from what I've seen are usually the small cigarette holder sized vases.  One way to recognize at least some of the remakes is that the bases are not fire polished, but rather have an almost frosted look to them, sometimes with visible lines running in one direction.  Any type of glass with a base like that should be viewed with suspicion.

Laura

Offline midnightjo

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2006, 02:27:13 AM »
Wow, thanks for all the help! I wouldn't say lime green, it is a little darker than the picture, but very close. I'm pretty sure they are vintage, but you never know of course.

I got them from an estate that had several high priced and high quality collectibles, the people were most definitely very well off. I wish I could have afforded some of their other stuff! Though I think these were still a bargain, a lot of people in my area are clueless about Murano glass. But I am no expert either, but I have some knowledge which I am building on.

While I am here I might as well ask, does anyone know a good website that describes the different terms for different Murano techniques?

Thanks again for the wonderful help, it is really apreciated!

-Jo

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006, 03:28:13 AM »
Jo, it's worth having a look at the Venini website as it shows many different techniques - click on the Manufacture link on the bottom menu here: http://www.venini.it
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline midnightjo

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2006, 10:31:02 PM »
Thank you very much, I will check it out!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand