No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stuart - Mitre Cut - Lime Green  (Read 998 times)

Offline Gowdod

• Members
Stuart - Mitre Cut - Lime Green
« on: March 06, 2016, 03:54:22 PM »
Dear All,

does anybody know who designed this pattern please?

The Stuart mark is late 1920's. Very handsome and a particularly nice lime green.

With kind regards

Andrew

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Stuart - Mitre Cut - Lime Green
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 10:49:22 PM »
hello Andrew.            Stuart produced many shapes in green and amber over a very long period of time, and their 'Stuart' acid backstamp seems to have been used for many decades, sometimes with little variation, thus making it difficult at times to date the introduction, and/or manufacture, of some designs.
However, your shape appears in the McConnell edited version of Miller's '20th-Century Glass'  -  page 237, in the top right panel of green and amber examples.
The caption accompanying this collection of shapes, reads .................  'The Green and Amber ranges, with cutting designed by Kny for colourless pieces c. 1928-30, were issued collectively in these colours in 1930'

the caption also includes values, but I've omitted these deliberately, as the book is now some ten years old and the passing of time does affect collectability and consequently value  -  plus folk here tend not to discuss values which are mostly subjective.

hope this helps  -  it's a good shape and I suspect uncommon.

Ref.  Miller's '20TH-CENTURY GLASS'   -    Edited by Andy McConnell   -    first published 2006.

Offline Gowdod

• Members
Re: Stuart - Mitre Cut - Lime Green
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 06:59:26 AM »
Dear Paul,

many thanks indeed. I have the Miller 20th C book but the previous version published in 2004 and with Mark Hill, it does have a section including a glass jug and glass of a similar design, horizontal circumference mitre cuts but no attribution.

My first Kny piece...excellent.

Kind Regards

Andrew

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand