Looking for Glass on ebay? Angela's Designer Searches can help! Click here!

Author Topic: Conflicting marks, Danish and Swedish.Help Please.  (Read 728 times)

Offline BJB

• Members
Conflicting marks, Danish and Swedish.Help Please.
« on: July 07, 2006, 11:58:59 AM »
Hi,

http://i6.tinypic.com/1z6uzw6.jpg

I bought these two little cut glass pots with silver and enamel lids, which were very dirty, and all I could see when I bought them were "Sterling Denmark" however when I cleaned the grime off I found two other marks, an S in a diamond shape and what looks like 3 crowns in an oval, but are too tiny to photograph well.

I have looked these up on Google and they seem to be Swedish silver marks ( or part silver marks). There is no markers mark that I can see unless these other marks are them, I am really confused :shock:

The pots are 1" and 2" tall and really lovely with no damage to the enamel at all.

Any help please,

Barbara

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 01:59:02 PM »

Offline BJB

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 03:58:38 PM »
Yes, top set of marks, its the three crowns but in an oval shape and the S in the diamond, but no other marks apart from Sterling Denmark, but they are a mixture of countries.

Confused, yes I am :?

Barbara

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 04:13:24 PM »
Seems likely then that silver part was made in Sweden and the glass and tops fitted in Denmark. Its not uncommon to find foreign glass with English hallmarks (Not referring to English import marks but a UK smith.
Frank A.
Please help preserve glass web-sites for posterity by donating to The Glass Study Association a non-profit organisation.
Scotland's Glass - Ysart Glass
Glass Zoo - Glass Study.COM
Commercial Czech

Search
eBay.com
eBay.co.uk

Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum
Enter
key words
to search
Amazon.com