No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Wiedmann-ish art glass ashtray -- Polish Huta Julia or German Gralglas?  (Read 496 times)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone will be able to help identify my art glass ashtray.  It looks quite Karl Wiedmann-ish in style, but I suppose there's a possibility that it's not Gralglas, but Polish, by Huta Julia in Sklarska Poreba.  I bought it on a Polish on-line auction site.

The ashtray is 15cm wide and 5.5cm tall.  The base is flat and highly polished.  It's blue and turquoise with a raised yellowish orange mottling (which kind of looks like a yellow fungus or southern blight).  The whole of the piece is cased heavily in clear glass.  It's quite heavy at 1588g.

Thank you  :)
Anik 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
WMF did a similar shape in Perlora, and it would be most likely that they also  made it in Ikora. The colour scheme is convincing....

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Oh, thank you Ivo...  WMF didn't cross my mind.  I'll look into it.

Thank you, again!
Anik  :)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Annoying how my brain seems to forget things...  :(

While researching / Googling, I noticed that the decor found on my ashtray is often referred to as 'argentum' by other sellers, and that pieces attributed to Wiedmann (both WMF and Gralglas) show up in search results. 

Then I remembered this thread with a vase and bowl which was initially believed to be Wiedmann designs for Gralglas:  https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,49201.0.html

Michael's pieces have exactly the same decor as my ashtray. 

In that thread, I wrote that the pieces are Polish (Huta Julia), designed by Aleksander Puchała.   I went back into my old photographs and found a photo with a vase like Michael's, and with a partial Huta Julia label.  (I've included it here, but it's been cropped from a larger photo which isn't mine, so it's very small...  moderators, I understand if you delete it.)

Since the decor is exactly the same as in my ashtray, I think it's proof that it is, indeed, Polish.

Anik

P.S.  Ivo, thank you again for helping to get my brain juices flowing. Much appreciated!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
I just thought I would also add a photo of a vase I have, which has a Huta Julia label and original card...  the decor is very different than in my ashtray, but the shape is much like the pieces people have been attributing to Wiedmann (both WMF and Gralglas).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand