No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Josef Svarc vase  (Read 4232 times)

Offline beasoriginals

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • mid century glass
    • UK
Josef Svarc vase
« on: March 22, 2016, 02:41:14 PM »
Hi everyone
I bought this vase at my local auction this weekend, I was fascinated by the design and the unrecognisable signature to the base, and have spent some considerable time trying to find out more about it. I have managed to establish that it is made by Josef Svarc but other than that I am still none the wiser.

I would be very grateful if anyone could tell me some more about this Czech designer, the age of this piece and also its value.

It stands approx. 15cm tall and measures 6.5cm across the base tapering to 6cm across the top. It is hexagonal in shape and weighs approx. 1.2kg. It does carry a few small chips and whilst this does not affect its visual value I appreciate it will have an affect on its monetary value.

Thank you in advance to anyone who is able to help
Regards
Bea

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Re: Josef Svarc vase
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 03:24:15 PM »
Wonderful vase, Bea!  It was designed by Svarc in 1968 and produced by Podebrady glassworks.  You can see this vase, as well as other Svarc designs, in the Czechoslovak Glasrevue (courtesy of Jindrich Parik and his Ceskoslovenske Sklo website): Josef Svarc Glasrevue

The British Museum has got a nice bio for Svarc here.

As for value, it's best to take a look on the Internet and see what such pieces sold for recently.  :)

Again, super piece.

Anik

Offline beasoriginals

• Members
    • mid century glass
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 03:36:25 PM »
Thank you Anik I will have a look at those links now.
I could only find one other like this on the internet but it had no value which is why I was asking for opinions here lol ;)

Offline beasoriginals

• Members
    • mid century glass
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 03:42:34 PM »
Thank you again Anik but I had already been to those sites, Josef is quite illusive it seems and sadly the catalogue information on him is not in  English  :'(

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 03:58:07 PM »
That British Museum link has a 500+ word bio...

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 04:04:36 PM »
Hi Bea, Christine it right...  if you scroll down to "Curator's comments" and click on 'more', you will have a lot of interesting information about Svarc.  :)

Offline beasoriginals

• Members
    • mid century glass
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 06:35:13 AM »
Thank you, in my frustration I had missed that. Still no mention of my vase though  :'(

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 06:26:49 PM »
Your vase is shown on the third page of the Josef Svarc Glasrevue, click to the right..

John

Offline beasoriginals

• Members
    • mid century glass
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 08:54:42 PM »
Thanks John, it was that page that gave me the positive identification I was looking for before I joined this forum.
All the links that have been offered so far are the ones that I had found previously and appear to be the only ones on the internet. I really joined this forum in the hope that someone could give me some new information and maybe a 'ball park's figure on its value
Many thanks again

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 09:19:47 AM »
Value is really tricky, we tend not to discuss it all that much here, so many variables means that picking a number out of a hat could be more accurate...

Look at sold Josef Svarc items on ebay and auction houses for ball park figures. Use comparable Czech glass to help build a picture.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand