No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass Jug - Aki Isogai - Japanese artist at Jam Factory in Adelaide, Australia  (Read 4999 times)

Offline ecoman

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Australian Glass art
    • Australia
We have a glass jug signed by Aki Isogai from 1981. Other than finding a page about him (see link bellow) I have been unable to find much else. Does not seem to be any of his pieces for sale nor does it look like he is making glass any more.

Just wondering if his items are desirable/collectible and if so any indication on what this piece may be worth?

The jug is approx 24cm high, 9cm wide on base

See attached pictures

This is a link about Aki Isogai
http://www.kuripa.co.jp/cgi-bin/ag/ag_personal.cgi?lang=en&id=46

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
Re: Glass Jug - Aki Isogai - Japanese artist
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 10:04:34 PM »
Akihiro Isogai was a trainee at the Jam Factory in Adelaide from 1979 to 1982, which makes him an exact contemporary of Michael Hook. He is now a major glass artist in Japan, with examples of his work in many leading galleries in that country and elsewhere including the Corning Museum. Towards the bottom of that page you reference you will see he mentions the Art Gallery of South Australia and the National Art Glass Gallery in Wagga Wagga (despite the spelling!).

There are several sites on Google with examples of his more modern works.

Your specimen dates from his time at the Jam Factory. The little bottle 9cm high with a round stopper in the photos comes from the same period.

Is yours valuable? It is an interesting historical piece from the period of early Australian art glass, so it is valuable to those like me who care. But as a meal ticket it would more likely buy you a cafeteria lunch than a big night out.

Am I greeting a fellow collector of Australian glass?

Trevor
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.
The Glass Puzzles page is back on Facebook. Log in to leave a comment.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand