No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Molineaux Webb / Percival Vickers pressed butter dish. ID = Percival Vickers  (Read 1213 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
For show a very nice frosted and clear pressed glass butter dish (or butter cooler?) which I think is most likely Molineaux & Webb, although looking on The History of Molineaux & Webb website it states that the knop is similar to Percival Vickers' Osborne Set butter cooler.  I can't find my particular design on there.

The dish and lid have the following lozenge just in case the image is not clear - reading clockwise: W, 18, 4, R. which dates its registration if I'm correct to 1865.
Anne E.B

Offline neilh

• Members
Re: Molineaux Webb or Percival Vickers pressed glass butter dish
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 07:35:27 AM »
Percival & Vickers reg 189121

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 01:16:15 PM »
Anne, you can get precise information on the lozenges by visiting this website:
http://1st-glass.1st-things.com/lozengetranslator.html

Alternatively, registrations are listed here:
http://www.great-glass.co.uk/glass%20notes/lozkey.htm   --->  also see the links to date ranges
http://www.great-glass.co.uk/glass%20notes/regnos.htm
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 02:47:45 PM »
Many thanks for the confirmation Neil.
I was curious to see if the glassworks was still standing as I know the area a little so used the google map link on the website, and there it still is - beautifully converted inside.  My OH spotted and recognised the building opposite - what remains of it now anyway.  He remembers being called out sometime during the 1980s to a fire there which badly damaged what was once a large multi-occupancy warehouse.  Only part of the outside wall remains.   Good job it wasn't the old glassworks ;)

Thanks for the links David - I'll bookmark them :)
Anne E.B

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 08:16:16 AM »
attractive piece Anne  -  good find :)

In addition to the information supplied by Neil and David, it may be of interest to see pix taken from the original designs submitted to The Board of Trade and now in The National Archives at Kew.
I've also attached picture of the following consecutive Registration No. 189122 - again from Percival, Yates & Vickers, and Registered on the same date  -  18th August 1865...............    this too looks as if it might be for a similarly intended use.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 06:03:13 PM »
Excellent Paul. Many thanks :)
Anne E.B

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum