No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this Czech glass? ID = Chribska  (Read 2326 times)

Offline louisa54

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • 60s and 70s glass
    • UK
Is this Czech glass? ID = Chribska
« on: April 06, 2016, 11:36:26 AM »
Hi I'm new to this - so please excuse my ignorance. I have been collecting, inadvertently - in that I just go by the look of what I like - Czech and Scandinavian glass for a few years. Mostly I go for the faceted 60s Czech glass from makers such as Borske Sklo and Scandinavian 70s designs.

The piece I have photographed here does not really  fit in with my collection - bit too 'organic' for my taste. But I am wondering if copies of this particular design are made in China or somewhere as I have seen one or two of them around. Mine is very heavy and has a few tiny bubbles as well as a couple of white specks - ash? (see, I am clueless) which I am thinking is maybe a sign that it is not good quality.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Is this Czech glass?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 12:48:26 PM »
hello Louisa  -   ............  there's nothing inadvertent about........"I just go by the look of what I like"  -  in fact it's probably one of the best ways to collect  -  at least you always like what you have.

regret this not my area, but there are some very clever people here who I'm sure will know if your glass is from Czechoslovakia or China.             Your piece looks to be similar in colours to some of the hot worked Skrdlovice and Chribska pieces, but I dare say the Chinese may well have copied them so not easy to be positive just looking at the screen.

Specks and small bubbles in glass are referred to variously as seeds or stones, and when these are pale in colour then, apparently, they might originate from a poorly mixed batch, or alternatively sometimes have their origin in the crucible or pot in which the sand was melted.
Dark specks are usually the result of some foreign matter that comes from burnt or charred substances used by the glassworker, and might occur when using wood or paper to shape or cool the glass.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 06:22:14 PM »
Hi and welcome!
I don't know about the origins of thie piece either, but it does have a look of having been made using a wet stick, rather than having been blown. I don't know if that helps, hinders or is irrlevant. ;D

Sometimes seeds, stones, frit and bubbles can be an indicator of age - from when before there were ways of getting around these problems, sometimes they're an indicator of having been hand-made, and sometimes it just indicates poor quality.

Clues about glass identification really all have to be considered together before deciding whether or not they are relevant.
It makes life interesting. ;D

This looks like a reasonable bit of glass to me. I don't think it's something churned out in the gazzilions in the far east yesterday.
And if you like it, that is what is important.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 05:30:35 AM »

Offline louisa54

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • 60s and 70s glass
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 09:10:13 AM »
Thank you for your replies - so helpful. Now that I know (!)  I'm collecting Czech glass I'm every keen to learn more about it. In answer to glass obsessed, no it has four fingers. It doesn't look quite as 'stubby' as the Chrisbska - its 12.5 inches tall

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 02:50:08 PM »
Chribska is a maker not a model, but I think you can safely say yours was made by Chribska - there were lots of variations

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 03:19:44 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand