No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pressed glass scent bottle - Boston & Sandwich  (Read 4302 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Pressed glass scent bottle - ? French.
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 11:00:48 PM »
A relative of mine then  ;D ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2016, 06:07:59 PM »
sorry Keith - missed your contribution...........   not sure if you're missing your upper part, or if you're occasionally weeping ;) ;D

the attached pix show a clear scent, and as Ivo says, these things are mould made initially  -  obviously they are then partly cut presumably to improve the shape and reflective qualities  -  but I'm still unsure as to how the mould part of the process is done.
On this example the stopper appears to be cut entirely, whilst the body looks to have been cut around the neck and on the underside only.   
The very deep mitres under the base have no doubt removed any pontil or mould scar, I think.                No matching nos. that I can see.
Am sure this is not the same age as Anne's, but not really sure other than early C20 perhaps, and doesn't look to be from the U.K.
About 7" to top of spire (c. 180 mm).

Any thoughts??               thanks for looking :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2016, 07:14:19 PM »
apologies again Keith  -  obviously not working well today..................  yes, that's a great looking piece, I'm very envious.
I haven't seriously collected these things, but somehow over the past 8 - 10 years I seem to acquired a lot, without really trying :-[

Offline Simba

• Members
  • QVOD SIS ESSE VELLIS - Be happy as you are !
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2016, 09:57:38 PM »
I have a similar uranium one ...

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2016, 10:08:16 AM »
Keith's is likely uranium glass too. Here's mine (from Paul) http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=1627

Offline Simba

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2016, 12:26:08 PM »
Ooow yes that's very similar body to mine...excuse the silly question what does crizzled mean ?

Offline Simba

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2016, 12:51:45 PM »
..picture of mine without UV light

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2016, 02:39:30 PM »
Angela  -  glass sometimes deteriorates chemically due to instability of the recipe  (surplus alkali or insufficient lime) causing small fizzures or cracks to appear   .............  http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,34252.msg185829.html#msg185829
big problem, as you can see, for Ravenscroft at the Savoy apparently, although believe he managed to cure the problem?

It turns the glass almost opaque and can make it literally weep as the process breaks down the composition of the glass.              But have to say that I don't give away crizzled glass only -  sometimes it's quite good ;)

My words above are taken, with gratitude and all credit to Ivo, from his splendid little booklet  'Miller's Glass fact file a -z'  -  2001.

P.S.     My fault I think for derailing the original subject here...........    perhaps the Mods might care to split off the replies from No. 9 onwards?
and start anew  -  'chunky pressed scents'.  ;)

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2016, 04:10:40 PM »
Sorry ? for what Paul, have I missed something ? ??? ;D ;D and yes Christine mine is uv reactive.

Offline Simba

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2016, 09:29:35 PM »
thanks for that explanation Paul I always wondered what was the correct term for it, I love that word crizzle very Roald Dahl !! I have a piece of glass suffering from it  now I understand why only part is faulty (Its in two separate pieces) I will photograph it and post separately.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand