No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Saint Louis Mushroom  (Read 1910 times)

Offline Krecik

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Paperweights
    • USA
Saint Louis Mushroom
« on: April 14, 2016, 08:24:01 PM »
How do you determine if a particular design is common. I have looked at a lot of pictures and can not find an exact match to this weight. I see prices that wildly vary for similar looking weights? Is there a good book that discusses quantities and rarity of a particular design? What do you think of this paperweight?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Saint Louis Mushroom
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 09:34:00 PM »

Hi Krecik.  The simple answer to 'are there any books discussing quantities and rarities of designs' is 'No'.  I don't think I have ever seen two Saint-Louis mushrooms that were the same - they were in effect one-offs, not some form of limited edition.  Regarding wildly varying prices, that sometimes appears to be the case, but it is important to distinguish between the asking price you might see, and what an item might have been sold for...and if it has not yet sold, there may be a message there about the asking price!

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 01:05:36 AM »
Actually, Paul Dunlop's The Dictionary of Glass Paperweights an illustrated primer sometimes contains comparisons as to whether one design is rare and another is more common.  He doesn't do it for every design and every color.  But Alan is correct that there is no book that specifically sets out to define rarity. 

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Offline Krecik

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Paperweights
    • USA
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 01:41:00 AM »
Thanks for your replies.   Every mushroom I look at is different , I do not see a pattern to how people value them or the prices paid for them .   I see sales for similar items as low as $800 and as high as $6500 .   How can you tell if the price paid is good or if you overpaid? 

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 03:23:22 AM »
You may not find an exact match.  My comment was not about mushrooms in general.  I was thinking about garlands, the garland pattern, the ground color, and the other features that we use to describe a paperweight.  Some combinations are rare, others are relatively common.  With mushrooms, it is color and execution that matters the most to me.  And whether there is a signature and date.  A perfectly executed St. Louis mushroom with a SL and date brings a premium price.

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information

Offline alpha

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 01:27:01 PM »
My general rule has been: Baccarat mushrooms are more common in the closepack format and rarer in the concentric designs. Whereas it is just the reverse for St Louis - the SL closepack mushrooms are rare and the concentrics more common.

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 03:03:38 PM »

Hi.  I agree with Andy's point above.  In addition, Baccarat mushrooms are more common than Saint-Louis, and Clichy are the rarest. If I saw a Saint-Louis mushroom in decent condition at $800, I would snap it up (or at $1800, for that matter...).

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 06:03:58 PM »
I agree with both of the two posters above about the relative rarity of SL and Baccarat mushrooms.  Below is a picture of my recent SL Mushroom addition. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand