No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Footed bowl with the lion mark. ID = Davidson #136  (Read 1300 times)

Offline hegeman

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Pressed glass from Europe
    • Finland
Footed bowl with the lion mark. ID = Davidson #136
« on: April 25, 2016, 07:11:27 PM »
Hi, I have this glass bowl with four legs. There is the lion mark inside the bowl. I think it is Davidson? Can someone tell me more about this thing. Is it the sugar bowl? What about the age? Is it some model number or name of the pattern? Measures: the height 7,8-8,2 cm (other side is lower), the diameter (longest) 13,5 cm, sides 11,5 cm x 11,5 cm. Thank you!

Offline nick.a

• Members
    • pressed glass
    • england
Re: Footed bowl with the lion mark
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 08:06:07 PM »
Hi Hegeman,
I think you have a Davidson #136 butter dish (1880-1890) without the lid, shown in the Davidson section of the Glass Queries Gallery here: http://www.yobunny.org.uk/glassgallery/displayimage.php?pos=-22358
Courtesy of Fred's hard work.
Best regards
Nick

Offline hegeman

• Members
    • Finland
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 07:45:45 AM »
Hi Nick, thank you for yours answer and good identification. Davidson #136 butter dish really looks like the same. I am wondering one thing; the upper line of my bowl is not straight. If you put the lid there, Isn't it with small air holes then? I am thinking about how the butter would stay good then. It is shame I have not the lid... it would be nice to see this butter dish with lid in some photo if someone have it. I found same dish in this web site: http://www.glass.co.nz/Davidson.htm but it is also without the lid in there. Could there be some other dishes in the pattern without the lid? Maybe it is hard to check out.

Offline nick.a

• Members
    • pressed glass
    • england
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 09:07:38 AM »
Hi Hegeman,
I agree with you about the rim being a problem, I missed that. The drawing does appear to show the lid fitting on top of the dish, which would need a flat rim. You were most probably right in your first opinion, and that you do have a sugar bowl. Pattern numbers commonly refer to a suite of tableware items, and your bowl is most likely a pattern #136 sugar bowl, a nice find. 
Best regards
Nick

Offline glasswipe

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 06:55:45 PM »
I used to have the lid. I still have photo on my phone but dont know how to upload.  Thought it was a Sowerby egg coddler or butter dish it had lozenge for Oct 1877.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 12:43:22 PM »
Here is the catalogue image for the Davidson #136 sugar bowl for comparison.

It appears in the catalogues of Davidson's unregistered designs dating from between 1880 and 1890.

Hegeman, I wonder if I might have your permission to add copies of your excellent photos to the Davidson section of the Glass Queries Gallery in due course, please?

Fred.

Offline hegeman

• Members
    • Finland
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 08:44:25 PM »
Hi Fred and others, nice to know it is the sugar bowl. Fred, you can add my photos to the Gallery - maybe it helps other people with identification.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 08:57:14 PM »
Thank you for your kind permission, hegeman.

Fred.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand