No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina / Isle of Wight Possible Michael Harris. ID = IoWSG  (Read 1363 times)

Offline stubbsywubsy

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Oddities, Early Glass
    • United Kingdom
Mdina / Isle of Wight Possible Michael Harris. ID = IoWSG
« on: April 28, 2016, 03:41:14 PM »
Hello i have this large globular vase which i am hoping is a Michael Harris piece.

although it looks like Mdina i think it may be an IOW piece as there is a strange pontil mark which is similar to the Flame pontil, just missing the flame part. sadly there is no signature.

i have read before that some of the Mdina glass colours were taken over the IOW in the early days, so could this be one of them? it is a large piece and weighs over 2kg.

any help or advice would be great
kind regards Steven

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Mdina / Isle of Wight Possible Michael Harris piece ID help Please
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 05:08:14 PM »
That's the coach-bolt pontil scar prunt mark. It predates the Flame pontil scar prunt mark, and you are correct, the Harris family did take the enamels they owned from Mdina to IoWSG and some early pieces do feature these, this is one of them.
However, while it is an early IoWSG piece, I cannot be positive it is by Michael Harris.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline chilternhills

• Members
    • Isle of Wight glass
    • UK
    • Isle of Wight Studio Glass Enthusiasts Site
Re: Mdina / Isle of Wight Possible Michael Harris. ID = IoWSG
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 01:48:21 PM »
The coachbolt prunt dates your vase to mid- to late-1973. The colours here are similar to that used on Mdina Rosenthal pieces. There are a couple of IoWSG items in Isle Of Wight Glass Museum with Mdina carryover colours dating from the 1970s. There is another example, similar to your piece, here: http://iowstudioglass.wikidot.com/exp. The studio was experimenting quite a bit at the time and several colourways never made it into general production.
Visit my Isle of Wight Studio Glass enthusiasts' site at https://iowstudioglass.wikidot.com and also Isle of Wight Museum of Glass at http://www.isleofwightglassmuseum.org.uk/

Offline stubbsywubsy

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Oddities, Early Glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 04:52:47 PM »
Thank you both for your very specific Knowledge, it always amazes me coming on to this forum.

It is a shame it does not bear the Harris Signature, but i love the Idea its an early Piece, also its the Largest of this Globular type i have had or seen so maybe it was just an experimental piece.

thank you both again.
kind regards Steven

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 05:13:41 PM »
He didn't sign much. He felt the glass should speak for itself.
I rather tend to agree, but that's because I get upset when a lovely bit of glass I want is suddenly unaffordable and 5 times the price, because of some scratches on the bottom that have absolutely no bearing on how it looks.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand