No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pavel Molnar - Perfume Bottles and biography  (Read 4347 times)

Offline Jay

• Members
    • http://www.hogelandshoeve.be
Pavel Molnar - Perfume Bottles and biography
« on: April 29, 2016, 07:31:49 AM »
Hi Folks,
I recently found several perfume bottles which are signed Pavel Molnar. I haven't find out very much via internet especially about the period after 1990.

The literature helps a bit through to about 1990 but goes very vague after that.
Did he have a studio selling single items? Where? Does anybody have examples and signatures to share?
Sometimes there seems to be a number which is assumed to be a date (between '91 and '07) But is could be a tie number or series number. Is he still alive and working?
There seem to be multiple examples of his perfume bottles appearing on the market? Has anybody inspected one?

(born 8. February 1940 in Vojnice, Slowakei)
"Pavel Molnar is a Czech glass maker who works in Germany. "

(John Ditchfield travelled) "in Holland, in the hope of learning iridising techniques he met the glass designer AD Copier and Williem Hessen who had both worked as designers at Leerdam Glass. He had the opportunity of working with such glass artists as Sam Herman, Lubomir Hora and Pavel Molnar. "

After high school, Pavel Molnar attended Glasfachschule in Železný Brod. In 1965 he moved to Germany. Here he worked as a laboratory glassblowing in the industry. In 1967 he created artistic works.

Molnar founded in 1968 his own workshop in Munich and worked freelance as a glassblower at the Deutsches Museum in Munich.

The move in 1977 to Barsbüttel, where in the same year was a workshop with its own port furnace, followed in 1981 the establishment of a training center for glass production and glass lamp blown. Two years later, Molnar received a teaching assignment in Stanwood, United States (Pilchuck Glass Scholl). In 1990 he participated in the International Glass Symposium in Gus-Khrustalny / CIS. In 1991, he took a teaching position at the true summer school Sars-Poteries (France).

Awards 
1974: Annual Award of Danner'schen Crafts Foundation Munich.
1981: Bavarian State Award - Gold Medal of the International Trade Fair Munich
1985: Second Prize of Süßmuth Glaskunst days.
Work [Edit | edit source]
The vases and glass objects by Pavel Molnar appear as naturally grown vegetative stone or crystal forms.

By the year 1979, the artist practiced mainly the glass lamp blown, then he also works in the so-called metallurgical engineering at the furnace. Usually he combines both techniques and applies beside the sandblasting technique to. He also developed new ideas for the coloring by special mixtures of metal oxides and by combination of these techniques different.

I see that one of his works was shown at Contemporary Glass at RAM: The Daniel Greenberg and Susan Steinhauser Collection
July 12, 2015 - January 24, 2016
Dutch and Flemish 20th Century Factory Glass

Offline fontanazul

• Members
  • Kristal-Poesie
    • Czech sklo
    • Málaga - Spain
Re: Pavel Molnar - Perfume Bottles and biography
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 09:03:49 AM »
charming!. I discovered another artist more for my gallery. :)
Daniel Muriel . [Kristal Poesie]

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
Pavel Molnar - 2 vases
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 01:32:27 PM »
Attached are images of 2 small vases - quite different design, but both signed "MP.79." - so I am pretty sure 79 stands for 1979, also as they joined my collection in the early 1980ies.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
Studio Molnar paperweight
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 01:37:05 PM »
... and another signature on a paperweight "Studio Molnar 1988" - quite difficult to photograph. Blackened with pencil and due to the curvature (signature on the side, near the base) imaged in 3 parts and combined.

Offline Jay

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 09:04:13 PM »
That certainly helps. Does anybody know where he was producing in the 90's. The signature on mine looks quite different to either of the examples given.

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 10:48:47 PM »
"Pavel Molnar Glas e. K." in Barsbüttel was closed in 2002 - so he likely was involved there during the 1990ies. Later "Pavel Molnar OHG" was set up in Barsbüttel - still showing up in many directories: no proof that this company is still in business - but certainly was after 2002.

Signatures: I have images (but no copyright) of several other signatures from reliable and not so reliable sources ... if you send me your mail address I could post you images for your personal use.

But ... signatures like "Studio Molnar" or "Atelier Molnar" may indicate that these items were not made by himself, but other staff.

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 02:03:06 AM »
My Atelier Molnar jug.
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline Jay

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 05:43:34 AM »
Just click the envelope beside my name for email. Thanks all!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand