Glass Identification - Post here for all ID requests > Glass

Possible Isle of Wight Glass Perfume Bottle Identification

(1/1)

jimbo1:
Hi,

I wonder if someone could help I.D this perfume bottle, I'm sure it's I.O.W but I can't seem to find the pattern either online or in Mark Hill's book.

The bottle has what seems like silver. pink and blue iridescent pattern, the pattern is similar to lace but not with a mirror finish.

Any help much appreciated.

Thank you

chopin-liszt:
I'm fairly sure it is right for Lace. IoWSG used stannous chloride spray to give a soft iridescent sheen, they didn't use a mirror finish.

jimbo1:
Thanks Sue,

I have had in the past paperweights and also a small conical bottle but both have had a deeper background colour. The mirror effect is stronger on the paperweights, when I say mirror I mean the strong iridescent effect you find on Okra or Loetz.

Kind Regards

James

chopin-liszt:
I suppose it could be Ribbons. I'm not completely au fait with later IoWSG.
I replied to you, because I had a paperweight which looked a perfect match for your bottle. It's Christine's now, but I've tracked down her images of it.
I was absolutely convinced it was IoWSG, just not sure of which range, or it might be experimental.
Your bottle is the right shape and style, which helps.  :)

http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=1098
http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=1097

They did experiment before producing a range. and pieces got sold from the artist's shelves at the studio.
There are plenty of non-standard bits of IoWSG around.  :)

jimbo1:
Thanks again Sue,

It does look very similar to the second picture with the attribution to Ribbons, I too are less up on the later ranges, I collect the early Mdina and early I.O.W pieces so the later bits I find tend to fund that collection. I like the earlier items as they are less fussy and have a more studio feel to them.

I never like to say experimental or trial straight away when you see a IOW piece that is slightly different to the 'standard' range as I know they were all handmade and I'm sure they didn't throw away pieces that were a little different or went a little wrong - sorry for my non technical terminology but it does have the feel of an early development of the range, plus it came with a number of other nice IOW bottles from a good source. I bought it within a collection as I wanted an early unusual cube shaped Mdina vase.

Thank you

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version