No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Monart stoneware bowl  (Read 1514 times)

Offline Gary

• Members
Monart stoneware bowl
« on: May 06, 2016, 10:00:50 AM »
This is my latest piece of Monart, a 19220s stoneware bowl, shape code MA, size code 111 (12 inches wide) and colour code 121.
It has a off white inner with 8 pulled panels on a pink ground with purple, blue, green and yellow splashes with all over iridescence.
The 4th image is a macro of one of the pulls.
Of my Monart collection this is a top 5 piece and getting it for a bargain price was a bonus  ;D.
Gary

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
Re: Monart stoneware bowl
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 05:33:03 PM »
 :P I don't think most people (myself included) realised it was a stoneware one !!
I just saw a pink bowl and didn't bother looking at it too closely - that will teach me  ;) (in my defense I was rather ill and even all that lovely glass didn't make me feel any better  :( )
Your pictures make it look much nicer and show the colours off better, nice buy Gary.
Roberta

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 06:41:46 PM »
Luscious.... Fantastic!

John

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 08:38:24 PM »
:P I don't think most people (myself included) realised it was a stoneware one !!
I just saw a pink bowl and didn't bother looking at it too closely - that will teach me  ;) (in my defense I was rather ill and even all that lovely glass didn't make me feel any better  :( )
Your pictures make it look much nicer and show the colours off better, nice buy Gary.
Thanks for your comments Roberta.
In all honesty the auction house's description was let's say not as descriptive as it should have been (though completely accurate) ie no mention of it having white inner, Monart Ware label or an applied coloured foot or what height it was, that being five and half inches tall. Which is fairly tall for a Monart fruit bowl.
I was fairly certain it was a stoneware bowl has I have seen two other pieces in that colour scheme and both were stoneware.
I have included an image showing an average size Monart vase to compare the size of the bowl, it must have taking some amount of fruit to fill it in the 1920's and not the 19220's has I said in my last post :-[

Luscious.... Fantastic!

John
Thanks John for your comments it is all what you said and more.
Gary

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand