No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Artist proofs & Seconds  (Read 11853 times)

Offline Liz

• Members
Artist proofs & Seconds
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2006, 09:43:30 PM »
Leni....agreed, Jim Hart's self-described "less than perfect" paperweights are fantastic, I have been outbid many times in my quest to purchase one! I love his "two-fer Tuesdays"!!! Hopefully , one of these days I will be the high bidder!!!

I have definitley added John Deacons "Strathearn series" to my list of "must haves", but like yourself have to work them into the budget. I just can't seem to hit the Florida lottery!!

Nadine....Yes, the remarks are a very good thing!!! Thanks again for the pictures, I'm still drooling over them!!

Liz
Liz

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Nadine

• Members
    • Paperweights24.com
Artist proofs & Seconds
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2006, 09:48:04 PM »
Yes Leni, your are right, there are some little difference in the single weights of the Strathearn Series.

Here are 2 pictures of the S2

1/25

25/25

You can see the difference size of the flower. Also in some of the other weights from the series are little differences between the 1/25 and the 25/25, but I would never have the idea to say that some of them will be a “second”.
It´s a fantastic artwork and every single weight is unique, that makes it very special, I think.

Edit: In the S4 the flower in the 1/25 is a little bit smaller than in the 25/25
Same in the S1 1/25 big Flower: 25/25 smaller flower

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Nadine

• Members
    • Paperweights24.com
Artist proofs & Seconds
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2006, 10:18:10 PM »
After looking over all the weights, there are differences between every weight of the same range. This shows, that it´s probably not possible, even for one of the best glass artists, to create one weight 2times totaly equal.

I also agree to your oppion about the seconds of  Jim Hart and other artists.
Mostly the weights are not really a second.
Real seconds are very often the CIIG-signed weights from Caithness in which you see the imperfection at first sight. Often the canes are distorsed, something in  the setup is wrong or the quality of glass is not the best. I´ve had a CIIG “Luckenbooth” and a first quality “Luckenbooth” at the same time last year. The difference between this weights was so visible, that even people who are not common with paperweights, did see, that the CIIG must be a second.

I think when we spoke from seconds today, then mostly we do it at dealers, to get a better price. When I like a weight and want to buy it, because of it´s beauty then it doesn´t matter if it is a second or not. Real seconds today are rare.

You all know this weight:  http://web888.can13.de/webbrowser/dip.jpg

Would somebody say it´s a second because one of the ducks did not match to the ducks in the book from Paul Jokelson? Never.
It´s a unique piece of artwork and one of the “100 most important paperweights” from Paul Jokelson´s fantastic book.

Nobody would spent more than 6.000 GBP for a “second” and if, then he never would say that he or she bought a second.
Most collectors buy paperweights, because of they like them as they are. No matter what others say, no matter what the artist say. If you like it – buy it and enjoy it!

Just my 2cents, now its time to go on holiday  :lol:

Enjoy your weights!

Nadine

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
Artist proofs & Seconds
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2006, 10:52:23 PM »
Nadine, your photography is fantastic! How do you get such good results?
Also, how wonderful to have such a superb collection, particularly with nos 1 and 25 of each example. It was very interesting to see the differences between the two examples. I know that often collectors are looking to see what the differences are, but speaking as a maker, although not a lampworker, what always amazes me is how similar they are. It is sometimes difficult for people to grasp how complex a task it is to achieve such close repetition.
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline ALLAN

• Members
Artist proofs & Seconds
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2006, 02:21:48 PM »
Just like to agree with Nadines thoughts ,if someone likes a weight then it doesn't matter what the quality is like in others eyes.Also,I totally agree with Adam that it is so difficult to make an entire edition the exact same.The more complicated the designs get,(especially with lampwork),the harder it is to achieve.Anyway, at the end of the day I believe that collectors would much rather know that each piece was indeed handmade and not mass produced in some machine,like milk bottles.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand