No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars but what colour?  (Read 1192 times)

Offline Ben.unwin

• Members
    • United Kingdom
Whitefriars but what colour?
« on: May 07, 2016, 05:26:30 PM »
I recently picked these Baxter vases but the colour has put be off. It appears to be a turquoise which I don't remember being in production. The smaller one is pat.no 9518 and the larger is 9603
Any help welcome!

Offline Greg.

• Members
Re: Whitefriars but what colour?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 05:51:16 PM »
Emerald green I believe.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 08:15:34 PM »
hi Greg  -  sorry to sound unsure about the name you've given to these pieces  -  am sure you know more about W/F's than I ever did.

Having looked in Leslie Jackson, there is a dark green used by Baxter in the 1950s, and in the glossary there is discussion of an emerald used until 1940 (pre Baxter).

I suspect that this smaller book perhaps lacks information to be found in the larger one, so I'm probably getting it all wrong - grateful if you can illuminate.             Thanks. :)

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 09:20:25 PM »
Hi Paul, i think you have a point, Emerald as an official colour does seem to have stopped circa 1940s. (Its use which is seemingly not uncommon does appear to indeed be incorrect post this date) WF greens can be tricky, however, I think, fingers crossed, these are now probably best described as 'Green Cased in Clear'.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 09:22:03 PM »
Useful colour chart here, it also states "The palette of colours and combinations used by Whitefriars was vast":
http://www.whitefriars.com/colours.php

Emmi calls it green cased in her Knobbly blog, scroll down to 3rd photo: http://whitefriarsknobblies.blogspot.co.uk/
which does sound vaguely familiar!

John

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 07:32:43 AM »
thanks both for the replies :)

some time since I dabbled in W/F's  -  had forgotten the difficulties encountered when naming some of the less common colours.     John may well be correct with 'green cased', but still a tad unsure in my own mind, so we'll have to wait until Ben comes back to see if he considers it a match with his pieces.
To my eyes it does appear to have a slight tinge of emerald compared to the knobbly piece, which looks to be more of a plain green, but who knows.

Offline Ben.unwin

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 01:36:41 PM »
I've had a good look at both links and compared the colours and it does seem as if its "cased green"
Which does have more of turquoise look compared to some of the other greens out there.
Thanks for everyones input!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand