No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID Robert Knottenbelt? Small vase - suspect early. ID = Robert Knottenbelt  (Read 6047 times)

Offline misha

• Members
    • In the Hills of Melbourne - Australia
OK, strongly suspect this could be an early Robert Knottenbelt vase, from what I have read online. [thanks Trevor]

Has that cryptic arrow, no date, silver chloride trails over mostly blue body, square form base with bulbous top. Not all that thick / heavy for size.

Perhaps 'early' because I have a John S Walsh rather odd shaped vase dated 1/79 that I can't help think is somehow related.... maybe not due to the underlying darker grey blue tone.  [Hasn't been photographed yet]

Sorry for shoddy images here, pushed for time while daylight decent last week, and re-learning how to use camera.  Quick shoddy work, sorry.

Anyhow, opinions please and thank you.  :)

So it goes.

Offline misha

• Members
Re: ID confirm: Robert Knottenbelt? Small vase - suspect early.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 06:15:47 PM »
  and...
So it goes.

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
Re: ID confirm: Robert Knottenbelt? Small vase - suspect early.
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 10:18:23 PM »
Hi Misha. It's a beauty! What dimensions?

I think you have answered your own question. Here's an essay that confirms it:
http://australianglass.blogspot.com/2015/09/robert-knottenbelts-early-production.html

The shape of yours is also a common Rob Knottenbelt one of the period. Presumably that derives from Sam Herman at the Jam Factory where RK trained. "Early" in this case means post JF but before Britannia Creek, so 1978-1983.

Trevor
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.
The Glass Puzzles page is back on Facebook. Log in to leave a comment.

Offline misha

• Members
Thanks Trevor,

Yeah, suspected so from your previous article. Wasn't really sure about date range he marked pieces this way.

Size is;

Height: 110mm
Base: 63mm square [35mm high there]
Bulb: 80mm diameter

It's pretty with all the entrained bubbles around blue. Silver trails appear to be a different colour to what appears around rim are, being more of a golden iridescent finish, but not like the usual peacock kinda iridescent finish applied post forming. I guess, iridescent isn't correct description.

Images are poor I must say.  Shape not so skew in reality. Camera angle and macro setting distortion.  Really should do better on that... soon. Only excuse is pushed for time.

What do you know about why the cryptic 'arrow' Trevor? 

Was it due to Robert seeking some anonymity, having the glass be focus rather than the artist?

Does this relate to a degree of disillusion with political machinations in the art glass movement at the time? 
I bet there are some unique stories about the early years and many who would prefer 'no comment' and 'let sleeping dogs be'. I'm assuming that, having read a Mr King article about the early Aus. years and exhibitions.

Or, perhaps it's a simple K Because thats less work to engrave?
I can relate to that, I mark works I've done with a stylised N rather than an egocentric full name tag.
So it goes.

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
What do you know about why the cryptic 'arrow' Trevor?
Was it due to Robert seeking some anonymity, having the glass be focus rather than the artist?

Most likely, the purpose would be to distinguish bread-and-butter 'production' items from works of artistic intent. The latter would be signed with the artist's name; the former marked in some other way known to insiders but without the cachet of being "signed" by the artist. Many glass artists (and potters) do that.

Having said that, RK has sometimes been ambivalent in identifying his early works. See the similar item on Peter Lupinski's web site, where it is reported that RK said it "could well be an early piece of his production work".
http://blog.peterlupinski.com/?p=154

Trevor
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.

Offline misha

• Members
Checked Peter's web page.  Your reply and reference to #62 on your picasa page goes to dead link now.  Page closed down?

I have a similar bowl to Peter's with similar vaseline trailed lip, clear yellow tone body, no AgCl. trails , lots of tiny bubbles in glass.  - signed: Stanislav Melis  79
[in storage currently and no additional image other than below]

Can it be said the top and rim of my little vase has this vaseline trailed lip like you mention in that reply to Peter, be it very low profile and not appearing like a distinct beaded rim on mine?
So it goes.

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
Picasa is being shut down by Google. I'm looking for a replacement service.

We can discuss the similarities to your Stan Melis 79 signed piece when we have photos of it. He and Rob Knottenbelt were both working in Adelaide at the time, and likely to be sharing ideas and possibly sharing facilities at times.

Trevor

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
I can't keep my trap shut, I've been trying.  ::)
I think it would look just fantastic on my shelves with some Sam Herman bits. I don't care that it's Aussie, or made on the moon, it's all part of the same family and period of glass and I love it!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline misha

• Members
Good on you Sue.  I thought you would like it.
It sits well with the other pieces I have from the same time and place.

I've developed a liking for these kinda wonky styled pieces too, but still have a passion for the cased Pantano 'painted' glass.

A 1979 wonky John Walsh deserves to be posted in this section too. I think I sent image attached in email last year. 

All a matter of recovery here and using that camera again.  Could do with better images of this one for sure. Been complicated and distracted here over last year. Still is.

See ya.
So it goes.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum