No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Coughlin (?) dark purple glass block (?)  (Read 757 times)

Offline ian.macky

• Members
    • http://glassian.org
Coughlin (?) dark purple glass block (?)
« on: May 15, 2016, 02:58:19 AM »
Someone sent me photos of this strange cranberry/purple-blackglass block thing, asking for info:

An elderly friend gave me this dark purple glass block many years ago. It says coughlin on the bottom but I
can't find out anything about this. I have spent hours trying to find this online. It is approx. 4" X 4".

I have no idea what it is!  How about the informed readers on glassmessages?  Any ideas?  See attached pics.

On the bottom is a sticker saying "Coughlin".  It looks to be interlocking and reminds me of Emile Sanders' Vera-Lux blocks.

--ian

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline ian.macky

• Members
Re: Coughlin (?) dark purple glass block (?)
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 04:58:21 PM »
It's not possible you lot are stumped.  It cannot be.  Someone knows, but has not looked or replied.  Do I win a cookie?

I'm now thinking it's too dark for any sort of glass brick anyway-- it just doesn't pass enough color.  I have some pretty dark glass bricks, but this is darker still than any of them.

It has that interlocking design...  is it just part of a desk/dresser set or trinket set or whatever they're called?

Because of the interlock, several of these could be placed right next to each other in a row, holding....    trinkets?

I have yet to find any glasshouse named Coughlin, also...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 05:33:58 PM »
I did have a vague thought that there appears to be a recess for a plug and cable...  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline ian.macky

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 07:04:57 PM »
Attached is a Vera-Lux glass brick for comparison.

Offline ian.macky

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 03:04:22 AM »
I heard again from the owner of this block.  They found similar blocks for sale at an auction house (Botterweg Auctions Amsterdam) and asked them for information.  The reply: "Many of those have been produced in all kind of countries, as far as I know this particular one is not from the Netherlands."

Because of the unlikely dark color, perhaps this was a sample piece?

I'm back to being convinced it is definitely a glass block.

But what about "Coughlin"?

Offline misha

• Members
    • In the Hills of Melbourne - Australia
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 02:21:36 PM »
Is it a glass lead / acid battery case?

Modern cells I've seen are taller than wide, robust wall thickness and of a clear glass.
So it goes.

Offline ian.macky

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 03:19:19 PM »
Is it a glass lead / acid battery case?

Modern cells I've seen are taller than wide, robust wall thickness and of a clear glass.

I've seen quite a few of the old glass batteries, and the jars have aways been clear or the usual default light green  color of cheap glass.  I think you'd probably want transparent glass so you can view the battery's guts and make sure it's in good condition (plates not surphating up or whatever).  This is also much fancier than any glass battery I've seen; batteries have been plainish, with smooth outer surfaces (except for the embossing).  I don't know anything about modern cells; didn't know any with glass cases were still being made.

Attached is a pic of a Richard Dawson's battery glass display from the 2003 NIA Western Insulator Show in California.  You can see some typical old American glass battery jars.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand