No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: pedestal base for Libochovice designs 2178/79  (Read 1797 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
pedestal base for Libochovice designs 2178/79
« on: May 24, 2016, 03:24:29 PM »
this arrangement of ovals and lopsided diamonds, plus the cog-wheel decoration is a fairly common feature on some pressed pieces from this Czech. factory.              You'd assume simply a vase but it seems to have been destined for a versatile life, and apart from a vase it was also a pedestal support for large bowl, and its third use is shown by the word CELERY on the  base  -  maybe trying to avoid purchase tax  -  believe there was a similar reason for using the word CELERY by some U.K. makers in the 1940 - 50 period.            Can't imagine that this would accommodate too many sticks of celery though.
You have to remember that when this is accompanied by the bowl, the cog-wheel base will be at the top, and in the catalogue picture presumably it's hidden by the base of the bowl - you certainly can't see the cog-wheel.

Height of this part is about 6" (c. 155 mm).

If anyone has the time, would appreciate confirmation please that this is indeed the lower portion of a two piece design showing on page 32 of the Sklo Union CD catalogue 'Libochovice Glass Export before 1958' - items Nos. 2178/79 (top right corner)  -  I couldn't see this on Pamela's  glasspavillon site.                 

Assuming the attribution is correct, then grateful if the Mods. will move to the correct part of the Board - thanks. :)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: pedestal base for Libochovice designs 2178/79
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 10:53:11 PM »
Yes that's the right ID, Paul. I have one of these stowed away in a box somewhere which I promised to Pamela ages ago and which I've not managed to run to earth since. I know it is here somewhere but just where is anyone's guess! Once we finally get everything sorted out I will be able to bring the boxes out of storage and unpack them all and see what there is. (And then panic about where I'm going to put it all!!!) :)

Incidentally, mine does not have the CELERY mark.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 08:06:05 AM »
Anne - you've been saying this for years ;D                  many thanks for taking the time to reply and confirm my thoughts.

I doubt that I'd keep this even if I had the bowl  -  such pieces take up too much room.                For a while I was collecting celeries, but interest waned a little and I stopped.                Pamela would be welcome to this one, assuming she is still without an example.

This took me some time to run down, although I assumed the pattern had to Libochovice, and it was the upside down position and hidden cog-wheel that made identification less than easy.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 02:36:51 PM »
That's cos I've been facing the chaos for years, Paul!  ;D

The set comes in two sizes and I can't recall the dimensions of mine (it's on the board somewhere I think), so Pamela may want both if they are different sizes!  8)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand