No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bolton, Son & Wood Rd. 310657 dated 04.06.1877  (Read 3439 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Bolton, Son & Wood Rd. 310657 dated 04.06.1877
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2016, 04:17:28 PM »
.................   but what if you don't wear 'jammies'  -  is it still possible to look at everything they have?? ;)

But seriously  -  it sounds a wonderful and accessible archive.             I suppose it's inevitable that with the passing of decades many national museums are bound to accumulate tons more stuff than they are able to show - and with economies the way they are it's unlikely we're going to get more museums built in which to show their possessions.               Don't think there's an answer, unfortunately, apart from your MOA who obviously seem more clued up than most.            thanks for the link :)

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2016, 12:46:22 AM »
Keep your curtains closed  ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2016, 01:47:13 PM »
Pleased to say that the Warrington Museum have now replied and confirmed they will be very happy to accept this piece for their collections.
So, thanks to Christine a good result. :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2016, 04:18:03 PM »
 ;D

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2016, 12:39:44 AM »
Great news, Paul!  8)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2016, 10:46:19 PM »
Really pleased it's going to the Warrington museum Paul :)

I wonder if the V&A could make their inventory numbers accessible online?  Is it worth asking?
They have them online at the museum, so somehow it might be possible to code it so they can be searched from outside sources.
It would be sooo much easier to just look up the inventory number (well it would be for me,since I photographed the numbers  ;D  )

m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2016, 08:14:14 AM »
As you might imagine, the V. & A. don't an ad hoc 'drop in and chat to the experts' facility whenever you visit  -  tho they do have a surgery once a month, I think it's a Tuesday from memory, and I've been on a couple of occasions and they are very helpful.

Aside from that you can reach the glass department with a question, via email, to which they will always reply, even if it takes a couple of weeks.

Try asking your question m  -  you never know they might have some means of improving their on screen facility  -  they can be contacted at ...
ceramicsandglassatvam.ac.uk   ......   replacing the 'at' with the usual rats tail. :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2016, 08:52:37 AM »
mm, didn't think of just emailing them.
I will give it a try.
(although  they will then realise that I went round peacefully on my own and photographed most of their displays  :o didn't think anything of it until someone posted elsewhere a photo of a sign in the V&A saying 'no photographs'  :-X )
Perhaps that was for paintings or something though?

I've emailed them now so I will see if they can find a way to resolve this.

m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2016, 09:11:02 AM »
you may have forgotten that the GMB has approval from the V. & A. to take photographs of items in the glass gallery, for posting on the Board, with the proviso that all such images are watermarked and to include acknowledgment to the V.& A.  -  similar to the Kew arrangement.             This was a facility I agreed with them several years back, and I'm not aware this has been withdrawn  -  I have mentioned this previously on the Board.
Of course, if their reply appears to overlook this, let me know and I'll take it up with them again.

Would imagine you're correct, and that the 'no photography' rule applies to materials other than glass  -  paintings and textiles especially.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2016, 10:54:15 AM »
I recall Eric Knowles on tv many years ago saying he was told "no photos" when he set up his camera on a tripod in the V & A. But apparently the actual ruling was "no tripods" and hand-held shots were ok.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand