No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unknown signature 'S.J.Ala Glas' on a bowl. ID = Själaglas, Sweden  (Read 3025 times)

Offline cmdg

• Members
This signature is on an art glass bowl,it is quite clear to read,although the S may be a number 5 ?.I would be very grateful to know who this signature belongs to.I have done the usual searches but to no avail!.It is an etched signature ,near to the pontil mark,and there is an umlaut over the first letter a in ala.
         'S.j.ala glas'
Many thanks,Chris

Offline cmdg

• Members
Re: Unknown signature 'S.J.Ala Glas' on a bowl
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 11:33:45 AM »
Just adding a photograph of the signature S.J.ALA GLAS

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 12:34:32 PM »

It seems it is Sjalaglas, all one word, but their .se website is not available.

Regards,
Della
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 10:06:52 PM »
http://www.sjalaglas.se/ is in the internet archive between 2003-2008
https://web.archive.org/web/20080127140746/http://www.sjalaglas.se/

Själaglas startade 1983 av Lennart och Gerd Eriksson i den lilla byn Blomdal 1 mil söder om Norberg. Lennart och Gerd arbetade tidigare på Kosta glasbruk. Lennart som smältningstekniker och Gerd med design. Lennart hade möjlighet att blåsa och han arbetade helt hantverksmässigt och med vår egen design. Vi hade förmånen att komma ut på bra försäljningsställen bland annat i Örebro, Göteberg, Stockholm och Västerås, 1989 fick vi inbjudan att arbeta sex månader i Japan, Lennart arbetade som instruktör i en glashytta. Ett arbete som var mycket inspirerande och vi hade möjlighet att prova på olika tekniker med bland annat sandblästring. Det resulterade i att ve senare skaffade egen utrustning och har kunnat utveckla konstglaset här på hemmaplan.

1994 började Stefan Johansson arbeta som assistent och att lära upp sig som glasbläsare, 1998 gick Lennart bort efter en tids sjukdom. I samband med Lennarts bortgäng, startades en minnesfond till hans ära. Fonden är tänkt att främja konsthantverket i vårt område.

Gerd och Stefan beslutar sig för att fortsätta driva verksamheten. Juni 1999 slogs portana upp i nya fräscha lokaler i centraler Norberg där vi hade möjligheten att ha glashytta, butik och lager på samma plats. 

Våra kunder har sedan dess haft möjlighet att se glasblåsning direkt i butiken.  Vi till verkar idag egen designat bruksglas såsom snaps - och vinglas, karaffer, skålar och vaser samt även konstglas med blästrade motiv och sandgjutna skulpturer, Allt med egen design.   

Or if you prefer it in English...  ;D

Själaglas started in 1983 by Lennart and Gerd Eriksson in the small village Blomdal 1 mile south of Norberg. Lennart and Gerd previously worked at Kosta Glassworks. Lennart in melting techniques and Gerd with design. Lennart had the opportunity to blow and he worked entirely handcrafted and with our own design. We had the privilege to come out on the good points of sale including in Orebro, Göteberg, Stockholm and Västerås, 1989 we received the invitation to work for six months in Japan, Lennart worked as an instructor in a glass studio. A work that was very inspiring and we had the opportunity to try different techniques including sandblasting. It resulted in woe (?) later bought their own equipment and has been able to develop the art glass here at home.

In 1994, Stefan Johansson work as an assistant and to train himself as a glassblower, 1998, Lennart passed away after a brief illness. In connection with Lennart's demise, we started a memorial fund in his honor. The Fund is designed to promote the arts and crafts in our area.

Gerd and Stefan decides to continue running the business. June 1999 we moved into new premises in the center of Norberg where we had the opportunity to have glassworks, stores and warehouses in the same location.

Our customers have since had the opportunity to see glass blowing directly in the store. We currently operate our own designs using glass, such as schnapps - and wine glasses, decanters, bowls and vases, as well as art glass with sandblasted motif and sand-cast sculptures, all with their own design.

Apparently Själaglas closed in 2007 according to this article published on April 23, 2015 LINK
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 06:07:09 PM »

And that is what's called Technical Wizardry, Anne!  :P x
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
The translation was Google's technical wizardry, Della, I just looked it up on the Way Back Machine! :)

Offline cmdg

• Members
Thank you very much,all your help was much appreciated and it's great to read the history of the maker.The bowl is lovely and I think that it shows a lot of glassmaking and artistic skills.I have attached a few photographs of it.....
Thanks again,Chris

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
That *is* nice, Chris. Thanks for showing it to us. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand