No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano? Aquarium Wall Sconce?  (Read 730 times)

Offline Brendan Morant

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Carnival and Murano Glass
    • South Australia
Murano? Aquarium Wall Sconce?
« on: June 16, 2016, 02:46:30 PM »
Hi All,

Just wondering what the chances of this...thing...has of being Murano. I think it's either part of a lamp or perhaps a wall sconce?

No signature that I can see, no label. I've had a bit of a squiz through the search engine here with no luck, while a look at the Murano Zoo threw up some fish such as the two Toso fish on Page 1 - Fish and Invertebrates?

Quite a decent size, approximately 22cm high, 12cm across the base, 17cm across the top and stands about 8cm proud at the top of the curve. Glass is about 1.5cm thick. Fish and kelp are applied, with the fish having separate bodies featuring silver aventurine while the fins are packed full of gold. Eyes are applied canes.

Technique and skill are definitely there, not a piece I'd instantly associate with the east. I haven't seen many original aquariums (and nothing this shape at all?) so field is open for both maker AND purpose. Help appreciated.

Thanks,
Brendan

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Murano? Aquarium Wall Sconce?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 03:47:33 PM »
Hello and welcome to the board :)

I don't know anything really about Murano glass, however, the fish look very similar to one I have that is Murano.  Also the quality looks good and the eyes on the fish are lovely - and I would think it is a Murano piece as my first guess.

I'll try and find pics of mine so you can compare.
I'll add a link as I think it is on a thread on here somewhere.

Here is mine - the photo of it against a black background shows all the gold in the fins :) - there is quite a lot of information on there.  The curve serrated edge of your sconce reminds me of maybe (tentatively) Fratelli Toso??? if I recall correctly.  Although as I say, my knowledge is limited so it could be that the edge is something many makers did.
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,39711.msg219890.html#msg219890
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Brendan Morant

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Carnival and Murano Glass
    • South Australia
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 02:58:51 AM »
Thanks for the reply. It certainly shares some similarities with your fish.

I've found two sconces that look very similar, both attributed to Cenedese, but I'm not too sure on what basis?

I hope these links are OK?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Barbini-for-Cenedese-Fish-Aquarium-Murano-Mid-Century-Glass-Wall-Sconce-lamp-/331612883523
http://www.pamono.com/murano-glass-aquarium-wall-light-by-gino-cenedese-for-cenedese-1960s-1

Also attached a few photos on black, you're right, it really brings out the gold!

Cheers

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 12:00:13 AM »
I don't know either but the fish and fins and eye are different to yours - particularly the use of what I think is called filigrana for the fins.  That might be an indicator of maker and yours do not have that marker.  The edge to your sconce is also obviously different.  These identifiers all make a difference ( I think  :-\ )
Hopefully someone with more knowledge (much more than I have as I have little to none) will happen along on the main board and be able to help with an id.
Sorry I can't help more but it's a lovely piece.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand