No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass Nude Sculpture - ID = ZBS (Zelezny Brod Sklo)  (Read 2860 times)

Offline msiscoe

• Members
Glass Nude Sculpture - ID = ZBS (Zelezny Brod Sklo)
« on: June 17, 2016, 01:54:54 PM »
Hello, I recently purchased this Nude Sculpture, unsigned...there is one on eBay with a Verlys France signature, but I don't think that's accurate....anyone know who made it?

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
Re: Glass Nude Sculpture
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 07:19:15 PM »
Hello,

Just to show the item you've mentioned ... http://www.ebay.com/itm/182072971787?rmvSB=true

I'm a little confused because, and I need to check where I've read it because it's been a while, the French items for Verlys  were all marked with a Verlys France pressed signature, the Hollophane US versions just  Verlys but without mentioning France and the Heisey versions weren't signed  ???

Offline msiscoe

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 08:04:11 PM »
Yes, that's correct. The French Verlys were usually signed in the mold and always included France as the country of origin.....the etched Verlys signature was unique to American Verlys....which is why I didn't believe the Ebay item was French Verlys. Someone obviously thought they could increase it's value by adding the spurious signature.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 09:19:29 PM »
Fostoria? Martinsville? Or one of the other US makers who found this style unresistible?

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 12:48:53 AM »
Nope not from the U.S.  I am 90% positive its old Desna I've seen before from one of the early catalogs well over a decade ago when the were running the Schlevogt stuff + additions. I cannot prove it though as unfortunately all the old Desna catalogs are long gone on line.

Offline msiscoe

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 05:15:53 AM »
Yes, but if it were Desna glass, wouldn't it bear the Desna mark? Unless it's an original piece....

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 02:31:50 PM »
I can tell you from personal experience that Desna did not mark any of their early glass as it was several years after production began before they even put out a catalog & thats when people started finding out their Hoffman, Schlevogt , Lalique, etc. was actually Desna.

Offline msiscoe

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 03:21:38 PM »
I emailed Desna with photos requesting any information they could give on the piece...so we shall see what they have to say...

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2016, 04:33:20 PM »
Yes that was your best move. Anymore you cannot depend on them putting out currect catalogs like the used to do. Back years ago it was over 6 months after stuff started appearing that they would finally issue a catalog. I think this is the latest version.
http://preciosa-ornela.com/images/pdf/catalogue_DESNA_collection_2015_EN.pdf

Offline msiscoe

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 10:47:57 AM »
I received a reply today from Desna regarding this piece. It was made by ZBS....Zelezny Brod Sklo....who have been defunct for around 8 years.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand