No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Attenuated bottle vase with some opalescence. ID = Isle of Wight Studio Glass  (Read 2913 times)

Offline Gowdod

• Members
Sue,

thank you. What I adore about the pink one is that the neck is so long and fine that I fear it will break if I pick it up.

The Pinky is 14" tall and the Tortoise 12".

The one to the right is an unusual Mdina attenuated/bottle, signed Mdina in Vibrapen. I am not certain as to the year it was made however has a fineness absent from later pieces. I thought a snap from above might amuse.

Kind regards

Andrew

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
 :)
Thanks for the extra pics Andrew. I have noticed a couple of somethings about the pink enamel used in these which might interest you.

It's clear, but it doesn't seem to always behave like other enamels when it gets hot and melts - it doesn't seem to do it smoothly, but in tiny bits. There are often a lot of tiny, long upright bubbles in it, and there is a general impression of oiliness (but in an attractive way!) about the appearance and texture.

Another really weird thing is that in some pieces, but not others, fluorescent strip lighting will make the pink turn green. There must have been two different kinds of batch of pink, one produced using different metals to the other.

Mdina short attenuated bottles with red/brown spiral swirls like that and are from around the mid-70s and into the '80s, with those vibrated marks. Not overly common in this colourway, but not rare. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Gowdod

• Members
Sue,

that's fantastic detail. Thank you. I am a great admirer of this platform and it's contributors. :-)

So I'll post a few piccies off various pink, pink/blue and obvious Kerry pink " heather " for comparison. I like your description of the " oiliness " of the pink alone.

One though has a Kerry Glass Sticker and has the IOW " sided" mark not the reversed form normally seen.

It's not spot the ball but stick the pin in the right pinky.

Once again thanks.

Andrew

Offline Gowdod

• Members
And the rest.  :)

Andrew

Offline Gowdod

• Members
Opps

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Feeling very much "in the pink", are we?  ;D
I made a mistake - it's not UV lighting - it's fluorescent strip lighting that can turn the pink bits green on some pieces.
There must have been two completely different batches of enamel.
I don't know if they were seperated by time or not.

Have you found any "green" pink swirls?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Gowdod

• Members
I'm going to have to look now! :D

Is the green some form of iridescence to the surface or does it appear within the body of the piece?

Happy days.

Andrew

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
All the pink turns green, but only when the light hits it at the correct angle - it's dichroic, like neodynium.
But pink and olivey green, not grey-blue and lilac. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand