No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Venini "Occhi" vase on Ebay.. from CHINA!! :shock  (Read 4366 times)

Offline Microcefalus

• Members
Venini "Occhi" vase on Ebay.. from CHINA!! :shock
« on: July 12, 2006, 08:03:20 PM »
I suspected that there were too many "Occhi" on the market... and now I know why!

Look at this:

http://cgi.ebay.it/Rare-Black-and-White-Occhi-Vase-by-Tobia-Scarpa-Venini_W0QQitemZ110007987677QQihZ001QQcategoryZ14QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 08:25:25 PM »
Marco,

Please see this thread;
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,6251.0.html

There is some very familiar about the website given by the vendor in your link and the one given in the link in the above thread.
 :?  :?

Very fishy. :cry:
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Microcefalus

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 08:35:21 PM »
So they're not actually producing Venini fakes, but just duplicating other ebay auctions... that would be comforting.

Offline Microcefalus

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 08:48:41 PM »
...On the same subject: how about this "Occhi" a french ebayer was selling some days ago? I asked her for larger pics, but once I received them I was puzzled... it looks like badly executed, with "eyes" not placed in regular rows, although it was acid sign and carried a Venini paper label.

[/img]

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 10:03:49 PM »
I suspect there are a number of dubious Occhi vases around at present and some have been appearing from German and Austrian sellers who have been seen with other dubious designs. They do seem to be improving the quality of their acid signing though often the detail in the designs is not correct.
I haven't actually handled one of the dodgy Occhi vases for a direct comparison but I suspect they are European produced.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline Microcefalus

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 10:30:32 PM »
Here is the signature... and the paper label (where there is no model no. indicated)

[/img]

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 08:22:22 AM »
Can't say that I've come across the blue label before either and with any numbering I'm suspicious, also the ITALIA on the acid stamp gives me a feeling of unease. Very difficult to be certain without being able to handle the piece but my own instincts in these cases is to give them a miss unless the seller has a good track record of similar pieces.
Paul

Offline Microcefalus

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 09:29:22 AM »
Yes, Paul, "Italia" is perhaps too small compared to the other two lines.

Generally speaking, the vase looks ugly, with no definite shape.

...and it's been sold for 1.697 Euros!!!

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 05:59:05 PM »
Well I guess someone was desparate for an Occhi vase irrespective of it's pedigree, or we just got it plain wrong, but it still looks poor quality and questionably marked.
Paul

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand