No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: George Davidson square based salt pattern 610 for show.  (Read 2459 times)

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
George Davidson square based salt pattern 610 for show.
« on: June 23, 2016, 02:35:29 PM »
I can not see this one on here or online.

4 inches in diameter across the rim, 3 1/4 inches in height and 2 3/8th inches across the base.

Regards Chris.
Chris Parry

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: George Davidson square based salt pattern 610 for show.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 07:38:12 PM »
I've not seen that one before Chris, but I did find they have a PDF showing examples on the Open Salt Collectors website here: http://opensalts.us/References/HJProject/hj387page.pdf
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 08:09:13 PM »
Thank you for showing this, Chris, and for your follow-up, Anne.

I am somewhat confused here as Chris’s clear glass ‘salt’ quite clearly has 3 small moulded scallop shells moulded on the each of the inside walls of the lowest tier of the foot.

The catalogue drawing of the Davidson 610 salt has no such scallop shells; unfortunately, no size is shown for the pattern. By the way, I don’t know of any photos of a piece positively identified as a pattern 610 salt other than those shown in the Open Salt Collectors website link.

However, the catalogue drawing of the Davidson 229½ pin dish / cigar ashtray quite clearly show the moulded scallop shells (though, again, there is no indication of size). Strangely the catalogue drawing seems to show a vertical central partition to the ‘bowl’, though I never come across a photo of an example or an actual example with such a partition. Maybe a partitioned piece is a cigar ashtray and an unpartitioned piece is a pin dish - or is it the ‘double salt’ alluded to in the link? – perhaps someone could enlighten me?

By the way, I have reference photos of pieces that I have ‘identified’ as Davidson 229½ (with the demi-lion trademark and scallops) in clear, blue pearline, transparent blue (non-pearline), blue marbled and purpled marbled glass.

Moreover, I suspect that a 4 inch top diameter would be quite large for a salt (unless it was a master salt), so I think that what Chris is showing is probably Davidson pattern 229½ rather than 610.

I attach some photos of '229½' in purple marbled glass when the scallop shells are not visible from the exterior and only become evident when viewing the underside of the foot. I wonder if the pieces shown in the Open Salt Collectors website have scallop shells under the foot?

Does anyone have photos of a Davidson 229½ piece with the central partition (and scallop shells) to show, along with size, please?

Fred.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 08:32:35 PM »
Well spotted Fred! The PDF file seems to have the 610 catalogue image and photos of the 229½...
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 08:41:33 PM »
gosh  -  nearly made a fool of myself  -  was just about to ask what 'half a pin' was  -  or come to that half a cigar  .......    good job I didn't ;)

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 10:15:25 PM »
Thanks Fred it shall be eBayed as 229 1/2, a bit big i think for pins and more useful as an ashtray maybe?.
Chris Parry

Offline nick.a

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • pressed glass
    • england
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 01:15:02 PM »
Hi all,
I've just been looking at the Davidson & Co catalogue pages on the pressglas correspondence pages (http://www.pressglas-korrespondenz.de/archiv/pdf/pk-2010-1w-04-mb-davidson-1888-1910.pdf). Page 5 shows 'Jellies or Sweetmeats' and 229 seems like a very good match. Is the 1/2 number a design, size or shape difference? Or am I wide of the mark?
Regards
Nick

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 03:28:26 PM »
I think you are correct, Nick. Well spotted.

I hadn't noticed it previously on the 'jellies and sweetmeats' page of the catalogue - a far more likely use than a cigar ashtray.

The '... ½ ' suffix in the catalogue usually indicates some kind of variation within a shape, so the 229½ pattern number probably indicates the presence of the vertical partition of the bowl in the catalogue drawing ( hence presumably making the piece a cigar ashtray rather than a jelly or sweetmeat).

I will change the pattern number and description on my reference photos accordingly.

Fred.

Offline nick.a

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • pressed glass
    • england
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 10:11:13 PM »
Hi Fred,
I thought that the line and the interior being plain in the 1/2, might have something to do with it. I would have been more enlightened if I had read your post on the 23rd correctly though.
 Thanks once more for all your hard work on the image databases, I still check them fairly regularly and they're an invaluable i.d. tool.
Best regards
Nick

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 10:27:06 AM »
Just as permanent visual ready reference, here is the catalogue image of the Davidson 229 jelly or sweetmeat.

On going back through my reference photo files, I do actually have some of a Davidson 229½ ‘cigar ashtray’ in purple marbled glass with the central partition and Davidson demi-lion trademark. Unfortunately, I don’t have a photo of the underside of the foot of the same piece (which would have shown the presence or absence of ‘scallops’) and neither do I have a note of the size of the piece. (Permission for the re-use of these images on the GMB granted by vogel_1944).

Fred.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand