No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help to ID Victorian Orange Spiralled Stripes Handle Basket  (Read 987 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Help please to ID this Victorian orange spiralled handle basket.

Polished pontil.
The lower half of the bowl and rim glow a very bright orange under a UV light. The inside of the base of the bowl is a custard colour.

Height to top of handle 6.75".
Diameter of bowl 6".

Thanks Roy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Help to ID Victorian Orange Spiralled Stripes Handle Basket
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 08:34:50 PM »
from memory I think the u.v. torch is picking up part of the colourant - in this case selenium orange, which believe is a more recent composition than most of the usual C19 colourants.................   
You have Gulliver  -  does he include this selenium as a method of colouring  -  I can't now recall.                  Is there much wear on the base Roy?
Just looked a little closer at the base  -  that rough area looks unusual for quality Victorian - or am I wrong?

edited to add.........   don't think it's cadmium sulphide, which apparently fluoresces yellow

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 12:22:21 PM »
Has a Well look to me

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 02:15:56 PM »
Gulliver covers British only from memory  -  I think Roy also has my book on Bohemian from this period - might the factory you mention have left a rough pontil scar like this one?

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 07:56:29 PM »
Thanks Paul

Gulliver does not include selenium as a method of colouring that I can see . I will go through the books more thorough later. There is some wear to the base.

Its only the bottom half that glows under a UV light , even from a good couple of feet away. The top half although it appears the same colour and looks the same does not glow except for the extreme rim.

Roy

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 09:51:53 PM »
Probably shouldn't comment on this type of material Roy  -  it's not an area I'm remotely good at  -  I just happened to remember that you get a selenium orange glow under u.v.                I always get worried when I see these rough looking pontil depressions, but may mean nothing sinister (i.e. more recent).

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 03:31:48 PM »
I meant Welz. It's almost certainly Bohemian

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 01:20:04 AM »
Vierzon (French) also produced some strange ribbed pieces with the thorn handles. (Scroll right down to the bottom for one example and there are others mid way through that either have the molded ribs in a similar fashion or have the thorn handles.)
There is nothing exactly like yours in terms of stripes though - most of their pieces do tend to be speckled rather than stripes.

http://www.culture.gouv.fr/public/mistral/joconde_fr?ACTION=CHERCHER&FIELD_98=LIEUX&VALUE_98=Vierzon%20&DOM=All&REL_SPECIFIC=3

m

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 07:51:34 PM »
Thank you for the link m , some do look similar. I still think Christine is on the right track with Welz or Bohemian. I may try and take a picture later with a uv light .

Roy

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 12:22:13 AM »
I can see that there might be more similarities with Bohemian glass :)

Just to clarify why I added the French link, I have come across a number of 'apparently' French pieces (caveat - I am not always sure that the pieces are definitely from the area of the museum they are in as they don't appear to be signed )that make me wonder whether I sometimes too quickly think BOhemian when it might be another country completely - especially when it doesn't quite 'fit'.   e.g. there is a fish on that site that I may have thought of as Romanian rather than French.  There are many French pieces with molded ribbed designs so I'm always a bit curious when I see that feature.

btw the pontil mark isn't polished as far as I could see?
it's ground but not polished :)

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand