No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Any idea who made this paperweight? ID = Murano, likely AVEM  (Read 4329 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
Any idea who made this paperweight? ID = Murano, likely AVEM
« on: December 19, 2004, 09:28:10 AM »
Hello all,

I just bought this paperweight on eBay because I thought it was just *Soooo* beautiful!  :D

Now I wonder if anyone here might have any idea where it was made.  Not that I care really, I just love it anyway, but I'm curious. 

And if anyone does know, can you help or advise me on how to to learn the clues for identifying something like this? 

I understand there are canes which are characteristic of particular makers or glass houses, and that's somewhat easier to learn, but with a scrambled weight like this I'm a bit lost.

I'd be most grateful if someone could help me   :)

Leni

Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Anonymous

Any idea who made this paperweight?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2004, 04:08:22 PM »
more than likely a.ve.m murano

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2004, 09:05:15 PM »
if the bottom is polished smooth it could be Avenm tutti-frutti from the 50s. If the bottom is course it would be Chinese lookalike....
i.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2004, 10:18:36 PM »
> Clues for identifying something like this

Hmm. I'll keep my thoughts focussed on just the "Scrambled" design weights.

If you can find a copy, I would suggest buying (or just browsing) Paperweights by Sibylle Jargstorf, published by Schiffer 1991. This book shows a good range of worldwide paperweights and includes "scrambled" designs from Venice, Murano & France.

From a paperweight collectors' viewpoint there is a distinction between 19th century Italian weights (known as "Venetian") and the whole vast range of 20th century weights (known generally as "Murano").

One point is that a scrambled weight from 19th century Italy will have rather better worked twist canes than the 20th century examples. By this I mean that the 20th century ones - such as the probable / possible A.V.E.M. weight pictured here - have quite large, flattened twists, usually in single colours of pink or blue or yellow, and can have gold aventurine to the edges. The 19th century ones have tightly twisted canes in (mainly?) red, white and blue on the same cane. Aventurine is also included but as separate pieces.

The point about rough ground bases  (course) indicating Chinese "lookalike" is valid, but 19th century Italian scrambled weights also have this feature, but perhaps not quite so "course".

If you find a weight that looks roughly similar to the one shown here except that it has the "tight twists" I mentioned, and may also include very tidy whole or part millefiori canes, it might by French, not Italian! And it might be also be modern, not 19th century.

Basically it's not too easy to Id some of these weights without a known example for comparison.
KevinH

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2004, 12:50:24 AM »
Thanks very much KevH.  I did suspect it might be Murano, but from the pictures it does appear to have a rough-ish base  (Yes, I haven't actually got it yet - only 'won' it yesterday!) so I guess it might be Chinese.

I love it anyway - the colours are so scrummy I could eat it!   :D

I will definitely try to get hold of the Paperweights book you mention.  I do have a copy of the Miller's Paperweight book, but must admit I find it frustratingly basic!

It may be terribly unsophisticated, but I guess I'll just go on buying things I like the look of, regardless of whether they are 'names' or not   :wink:

Thanks again to all   :)

Leni
Leni

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2004, 09:40:56 AM »
Quote from: "Leni"
It may be terribly unsophisticated, but I guess I'll just go on buying things I like the look of, regardless of whether they are 'names' or not   :wink:

I would suggest that yours IS the sophisticated approach!

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2004, 02:44:21 PM »
Quote from: "KevH"
>I would suggest buying (or just browsing) Paperweights by Sibylle Jargstorf

Thanks for the advice KevH.  I have ordered the book from Amazon  :)  

Incidentally, are UK people aware that one can buy books at about half the price on Amazon.com as on Amazon.co.uk?  Even with shipping!   :o

I have done a little investigating and from what I have seen I am more and more convinced the weight is AVeM.  Thanks to the 'Guest's who gave me the name!  

Also, my investigations lead me to believe that a Morano Crown weight I have owned for some years may also be by AVeM!  

I really like this website, and all you lovely knowledgeable people!   :D

Leni
Leni

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2004, 03:33:29 PM »
There is nothing better than buying what you like the look of, so long as  you think the price is reasonable. Fashions change and as soon as someone writes a book expanding awareness of a particular field prices rise! So stick with your gut instinct and buy it if you like it.....and bear in mind that the Chinese and the Mexicans are getting better every year anyway.
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2004, 11:19:33 AM »
Paperweight arived this morning.  Almost certainly an AVeM Tutti Frutti, I would think.

Yes, it's a bit of a hodge-podge, but it's a very pretty hodge-podge and didn't cost too much, so I'm a happy bunny  :D

Thanks to all who posted comments  :)

Leni
Leni

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand