No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Early Salvador Y?  (Read 909 times)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Early Salvador Y?
« on: June 28, 2016, 01:02:23 PM »
I visited the La Granja glass museum and there saw this jarra, made at the Mataro glassworks near Barcelona in the early 20th century. The colour is called "jaspeado" i.e.  marbled or speckled.

Don't you agree it looks a bit monartish?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Early Salvador Y?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 01:54:17 PM »
didn't want you to think we were ignoring you ;), but yes  -  the decorative effect is similar to his later 'cloisonne' pieces where a variety of his shapes/colours show this crazed/crizzled appearance, and would agree with you about the 'speckled' translation.                   Can't see this one looks like marbling though, which is more correctly described as a soft liquid flowing of swirled lines.

Gary is probably laughing at my dipping toes into an area about which I know s-- all, and my comments are taken only from pix I can see in the stunning Parkington collection of Scottish Monart glass that appeared in the sale catalogues (2) back in 1997 and 1998.      Orange was big it seems in Salvador's oeuvre, although in the Parkington collection this crackled surface effect appears in a variety of colours.

Forgive my ignorance, but are you trying to make the case for some potential connection between the Mataro Glassworks and Salvador Y, or is it just that this piece looks like Salvador's later work.           Maybe crackled/cloisonne surface decoration was big everywhere just prior to WW I - am I wrong, or do I recall this colour/effect occurring in WMF glass also.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 10:03:19 PM »
I am merely offering a lump of information to the crowd to make them wonder if there is anything more out there than where the book begins. Coud be useful.

I don't know about cracked decoration before ww1 - wmf definitely did not until after ww2.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline nigelbenson

• Members
  • Previously posted using a different email address
    • British glass - mainly 20th ce
    • London, England
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 10:34:45 PM »
I understand your thoughts Ivo, as the jug certainly uses a very similar technique to Monart, although a little finer in its finish to my mind.

Although it's difficult to separate various companies when they use this type of finish I feel that they all have their own characteristic.

Certainly adds to the number of companies that made it, thanks ;) :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand