No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cenedese 'Scavo' Style Bottle  (Read 2822 times)

Offline laura9797

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass
    • USA
Cenedese 'Scavo' Style Bottle
« on: June 28, 2016, 03:46:21 PM »
I need help identifying a large Cenedese signed 'Scavo' style bottle.  I originally (mistakenly) thought Mario Ticco  inscribed to the bottom "Maestro Mario Fiocco (I think), Cenedese Murano, (dated) 24.9.1992, Jacobson".  Approximate height 21", width 9", depth 6".  I have been looking through the Italian 'masters' list and can not find a Mario Fiocco or Tricco.  Any suggestions?  The signature has been really a beast to photograph!  Please pardon the messy desk.  I was trying to get a photograph that would also give you an idea for scale.
My images keep saying that they are too big so here are the links:
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm278/laurapmccracken/ac7c93d0-c8c7-4b25-8193-eb835be6c124_zpsy7iwz0pk.jpg
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm278/laurapmccracken/4d25a03b-20a0-4f25-aac2-9f2b8d9d78d4_zps1rgwbdky.jpg

Thanks for any suggestions!

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Cenedese 'Scavo' Style Bottle
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 09:07:40 PM »
Sorry Laura your thumbnails are really too small to see anything.  But it seems it is satinated, not Scavo.... lets see what others say,

Offline laura9797

• Members
    • glass
    • USA
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 11:15:21 AM »
Thanks for looking Ivo.  I will get better photos today and see upload them to the bucket without reducing.  Would Murano glass be inscribed Cenedese if it wasn't (if it was not a fake that is)?

Offline laura9797

• Members
    • glass
    • USA

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 12:18:03 PM »
This is tricky. Yes it is satinated, not scavo. And you' re probably right about the maker. But
Mario ticco is a well known glass designer who worked for all the big Murano companies, but is no maestro, which is a master glass blower. And Mario Fiocco is a most feasible name, which does not google well.
So I think you should make some good photographs, against a white background, and send them to Cenedese. I'm sure they will be delighted to tell you who and when. Oh and while you're at it, make a good shot of the signature. We can not do much for you without this essential information.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 01:16:50 PM »
Rubbing talc or cornflour, or a fine brown powder (think spices) into the signature may help to make it legible but will wash off

Offline laura9797

• Members
    • glass
    • USA
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 02:39:18 PM »
here are some better images.  I will have to try the powder/spice suggestion as well.  I am suspect regarding the signature because it is not on the polished pontil but off on the right.  Seems a bit strange to me but the signature definitely stated 'maestro'.  I will contact Cenedese as Ivo suggested.  by the way Ivo, I still keep a copy of your wonderful book handy......very lucky to have had it signed by you back in the early 'ebay' days!  Thanks again for the help. 

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm278/laurapmccracken/cenedese_zpshsvvtisx.jpg
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm278/laurapmccracken/cenedese3_zpsphsrhkd6.jpg
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm278/laurapmccracken/cenedese2_zpsgbkfotnh.jpg

Offline Feline

• Members
  • Happiness
    • Netherlands
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 08:38:20 PM »
Hi Laura,

I tried to play with the image contrast and I also clearly read the name Mario Fiocco. I think that Ivo's suggestion is the way forward, playing with the powder would allow us to be 100% that it is written "maestro" :o
Never forget more than 700 years of Italian Glass history, this is the secret!
Murano glass just for fun!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand