No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Dish with dragon pattern in panels  (Read 2201 times)

Offline janinedangelo

• Members
Dish with dragon pattern in panels
« on: July 05, 2006, 09:59:09 PM »
Dear Glen,
would you mind me askiing another question? Dante also has a bowl in clear glass, a sort of fruit bowl I suppose but it has four dragogns, in panels on the front and back. I don't have a digital camera so I can't send you a shot however the dragons seems to be in carnival glass cut into the design. would something like this be considered canrnival glass?
regards,
Janine

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Re: Dish with dragon pattern in panels
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 10:15:37 PM »
Hi Janine - sure sounds like it may be Carnival, and it is certainly most interesting. Without a photo it's hard to be sure though. Do you have any more info?

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline janinedangelo

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 10:24:23 PM »
Dear Glen,
The bowl is oval in shape on a heavy base and is quite ornately cut. the top scoops down in the centre. when you  flick at the class it has a lovely ring. On the front and back the dragons(which appear gold on the inside have a purpleish greenish tinge and they are cut into a frosted oval panel. It was stiking in the cabinet at the local op shop where Dante and I have seen several other large carnival glass bowls but none quite like this one.
i'll try to get hold of a camera but i hope this helps although it is hard to describe exactly how ornate it is.
regards,
Janine

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 11:16:46 AM »
Hi Janine - I don't recognise the bowl from your description - it sounds absolutely amazing though.

I am guessing that the "cut" appearance of the dragons is actually where the motif is moulded intaglio (appears incised) on the item. There are a number of patterns (known collectively as the "Golden" patterns) where there is a combination of frosted and marigold iridised sections of the glass.

I hope you can get some photos - it sounds like a lovely piece of glass.

Glen

Offline janinedangelo

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 11:39:50 AM »
Dear Glen,
I'm hoping to have a photo online tomorrow(my time) And the description that you say is intaglio sounds very appropriate. Please don't apologise as a complete novice i am finding this forum so very interesting and educational.
regards,
Janine

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 01:07:30 PM »
Janine has posted a reply which I've copied below.

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: photo's of Brockwitz lion bowl and dragon carnival dish  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Glen,
This link should take you to the site with some pictures of some of Dante's glass collection. The dragon dish colors didn't quite turn out but I am sure you will get the general idea. We look forward toyour opinion of the bowl.
regards,
Janine
http://janine.gallery.netspace.net.au/album01?page=1

==========================

Now me (Glen)  :lol: replying.

Janine - what stunning glass! I have not seen the Dragon dish before - but it really is a magnificent item. It doesn't really fall into the classification of Carnival Glass. I can't quite tell from the photos if the dragon motifs are actually iridised or are gilded. The panels are certainly frosted and the dragons are coloured, but on my monitor it looks like gilding. Hopefully someone else will be able to add some more information or advice.

It's an impressive and very beautiful piece of glass. I can't ID it, I'm afraid. If this thread doesn't elicit any more information about it, then perhaps you can start a new topic on the Dragon bowl itself, and see if anyone else can help.

Congratulations to Dante on his amazing glass.

Glen

Offline janinedangelo

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 09:54:56 PM »
Dear Glen,
This link should take you to the site with some pictures of some of Dante's glass collection. The dragon dish colors didn't quite turn out but I am sure you will get the general idea. We look forward toyour opinion of the bowl.
regards,
Janine
http://janine.gallery.netspace.net.au/album01?page=1

Offline janinedangelo

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 10:45:54 PM »
dear Glen,
thanks for the reply. sorry about the confusion This forum is the first i have ever wrtiten to so I'm not really sure how it all works. could you explain the difference between irredised and gilded?On one of the panels and looking from the inside out the gold is missing and therefore does not have the purplish blue color on the outside...if this is of any help. Dante does want to try to find out more as you say so I do think he will want to start a new topic to see if anyone can identify the dish.
regards,
Janine

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 12:22:55 PM »
Hi Janine - I'll try and answer :D

Iridised is where metallic salts have been applied to the glass (usually all-over, but it is possible to have selective areas iridised). The appearance is like a rainbow, or oil on water, with many colours shimmering where the iridescence is.

Gilded is where gold paint has been applied to the glass. It's a flatter effect than iridescence is, and is only gold in the colouring. I don't know much detail about the techniques or the materials used.

I think your piece isn't iridised - but you mention purple shades as well as gold. Maybe it's been enamelled? I'm really out of my comfort zone here. I can talk till the cows come home about iridescence! But I'm not fully sure how your glass has been coloured.

Hope someone else can help us.

Glen

Offline janinedangelo

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 02:23:52 AM »
Dear Glen,
Thank you again for your time and information which is proving to be of great interest to Dante. I posted a question relating to the dish on the forum and it will be interesting to see if that turns up any answers to this new mystery..now that the lion bowl has been identified by both Pamela and yourself.
regards,
Janine

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand